1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weird 85 k-10 problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevytruck85, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I have a 1985 chevy k-10, this weekend i took it up north and it ran fine on the way up 75-80 mph all the way up on the high way, but on the way back i had to give it everything it had to just get over 65 it felt like i was driving with the brakes on, but none of the brakes were sticking or hung up, also it has a nasty vibration under 5 mph that it dident have before this, the transmission shifts fine. so im thinking it might be a bad torque converter let me know if you agree or think its another problem. also my gas millage went way down. thanks

2. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

This might be way off but, could it be wheel barrings? I had a 69' charger that was ruff and it was acting like the brakes were on. It would not coast either. I had to stay on the gas all the time. I decided to replace the brakes and found the barrings were in bad shape and the caliper was dragging on the front wheel.

I am thinking if a torque converter was bad, your rpm's would be running way high to do any speed. Like if the clutches were burned.

Could the parking cable be partly on? usually mine are rusted in one spot and don't move. (I have mid-late 70's chevy trucks)

I had a 77' caprice fling one of the blades on the cooling fan. It shook the car bad at idle and had to fight to get up to speed. (had to get home to fix) The bouncing was bad enough it looked like I was driving a top fuel dragster sitting at lights bouncing up and down.

I'm just throwing ideas out there to consider.

O, and check your center pumpkin on the front axle encase you have jumped the truck lately. Mine pulled apart and made a soft V shape and made the truck shake when driving. (It involved a 6' snow pile, 4 low, and 30 feet of running space. :D )

3. Chevytruck85

I checked the brakes and the berings an all of that is fine in fact i just did new rear brakes and cables, i has to be in the transmission or torque converter, but thanks for the ideas

4. big bird

big bird Senior Member

i would start by changing the fuel filter

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

with the poor miledge, would check the egr valve...........................

6. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

More Ideas

Check Fuel Filter, Air Filter And Spark Plugs. You May Have Dropped A Cylinder.

7. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

plugged cat. converter or exhaust? pull an o2 senser out and go drive it see if it runs better

8. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

Curious as to if you ever figured out the problem.

9. Chevytruck85

ya i had changed the jets in the carb about two weeks earlier and it was running to lean and clogged up two of the spark plugs with nasty white carbon, changed the plugs and jets and she was good to go. but im still not getting the performace or fuel economy i would like so i think im going to go with tbi fuel injection now.

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Don't put fuel injector it not worth to do that. My boss not happy with that so we are convert back to 4 barrel carb. It big job.

Possible intake is cover full of carbon like we have one that we need scrap those thick carbon off intake.

Have you check compressor on engine?

How spark what color is?

What last time you change transmission's fluid? possible it transmission didn't shift in 3 or 4 gear to go fast. maybe it sensor or control for change gear is stuck??

Possible water in gas? My truck have that and it run at 45 mph in highway it run slow but no power until I put sea foam in there now it run ok but still have water in gas. You know some gas station try save money by pour water in gas tank.

11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

forgot to add is driveshaft bend?

or tire is out balance?

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I added TBI to my '82 a while back. Lots of wiring but really well worth it. Runs strong, responsive, easy to start, and better mileage.

13. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

How did you do it? Did you buy a kit? I've always toyed with the idea of putting it on my 80 or 86 sometime.

14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

jbrow,
    you don't need a kit all you need is an 87 and up donor truck. I convertered an '86 over to FI and loved it. most if not all of the holes are already in the fire wall and GM kepts the wiring fairly consistant

Lou

15. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I figured that would be the easiest. I'd like to find like an 89 blazer and use the front grill and headlights too.
    :D

16. derekbroerse

Now you're talkin'! Then it will look like mine! :D Gorgeous!

17. Chevytruck85

18. derekbroerse

Looks like regular Chevy TBI stuff put together in a kit with an adapter plate so you don't need to swap heads/intake or install an in-tank fuel pump. Overpriced IMO. But probably simpler since it comes with instructions and would be a little less work.

I'd still advise you to buy a parts truck and dismantle everything yourself, gives you an education on EFI. :D