1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weights of Ice fighting Liquid and Bulk?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ProSeasons, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Gimme the weights of, say, a poly tank of 1000 gallons of brine AND a big stainless spreader full of bulk salt.

I'm looking at a quad axel dump that I was offered for cheap. It was rolled into a ditch and the dump box died. (Collapsed in on itself, and it's going to need a used cab) but it starts and drives.

The chassis cab with no box is around 34000 pounds. Cummins power, 13 speed.....etc. It used to be a Pete, but with the new cab, it might be a Pete slash Mack or something ugly. Might make a big salt rig. Maybe.

Thanks guys
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

one mans trash is anothers treasure
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

A poly tanks is about 300# and 1000 gallons of liquid is about 11,000# = 11,300#

A 4-5 yd v box is about 1200#(guess) then 8-10,000# of salt = 9,200-11,200#
  4. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

brine is 9.8# per gallon.
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Not that I'm going to fight about it cos its not that important but my supplier said 10.8 thats why i put ABOUT.

I guess it would also vary based on the percentage of the product
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure if you make the "frankendecicerator" you get a baffled tank, a regular thousand gallon tank will have that truck swaying and surging to the point of being unsafe and brutal on the driver too............