1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andy bengtson, Nov 4, 2002.

1. andy bengtson

andy bengtson Junior Member

I just bought a boss v-plow. I went to there web site and they said I didn't need any weight in the rear. What does everyone think? I have a 2002 chev 2500hd extened. Should I put weight in the rear when they say I don't need it?:waving:

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I have a 8' Western Poly Pro
    And they recommend 700 pounds of ballest for a F250 SC with a 8' bed
    Sure it will work OK without any
    but it's going to work better with some weight in the back end

3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

8' Western Poly Pro Ultramount, 2002 Chevy 2500HD crew cab, short box, supposed to run 400 lbs in back.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think that adding weight to the back is needed especially if you only run with a plow and no sander.even the big boys put balest in the back.

5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

I plow with a 1 ton SRW diesel and put a 800 pound slab of steel Right near the tailgate,I drilled and bolted right through the box to the frame.I used this same weight on my older 1/2 tons,It makes a huge difference over an empty truck.
    I think the more balanced the rig is front to back the better it goes,Also the rear axle of the truck is made heavier so it is meant to do most of the driving. I have less front driveline trouble than my Partner with a similar truck with no ballast.
    Another advantage is when you lift the plow 1 inch to push out onto the grass the plow actually goes up instead of the rear of the truck rising and the plow not lifting.The farther back the weight the better,You know the leverage thing!!
    The only thing stopping me from adding more weight is that the plow is not strong enough,Because the plow has to stop the weight of the whole truck when I hit something that won't move.
    The piece of steel is only about 3" thick so it doesnt block my view out the back with the tailgate off. A couple great things to use for ballast are old wheel balance weights and turnings from a brake lathe,The lead weights dont cost much and the iron from the brake lathe is free. Just fill up a heavy box bolt it down in back and run circles around all the lightweights.
    Hyperpack

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Ballast

I have a Ford F-250 with a Western 8.5" V plow that was primarily MY plow truck two seasons ago. Last season I used that truck personally during one storm and the rest it was driven by an employee. I kept noticing that when I had no rear ballast, my traction was pretty poor and my employee was complaining, too.

This season I figured out that my auto lockouts were shot and I had been plowing with a 2 wheel drive for the better part of two seasons. :eek: The bottom line is that with enough weight in the back, I could plow with a 2 wheel drive truck, even in a 6", heavy wet snow. I found that impressive (although somewhat embarrassing) once I realized what I had been doing.

Short Answer: Yes, I don't care what the plow manufacturer says, ballast is helpful regardless of brand. If my story doesn't prove it, I don't know what does?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2002
  7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

You were plowing in two wheel drive and you and your employee didn't notice? I can't believe that. Must be runnin chains or a locker or somethin.:confused:

8. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I have an 800 pound piece of steel in the back of my F-250 SD and when it is a small storm I will plow in 2 wheel drive for better gas milage. The extra weight makes all the difference.

9. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

My question is about trucks with the factory front suspension specifically designed for a plow package. Would that suspension decrease the amount of ballast since it's supposedly designed to have less droop under the weight of the plow?

Mine has the plow suspension and the 700+lb plow droops the front end just a bit... I should measure it to know how much for sure. Truck sure rides smooth though, under the load!

10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

While you're at it, measure the height change at the rear too. I'd be willing to bet that with the bed empty the rear bumper actually rises a bit with the plow raised.

If it does that would illustrate the fact that you've now put a greater share of the total weight of the truck on the front wheels. If you've ever done a panic stop on a wet or snowy road in an empty pickup you know that they're already a little tail happy. The "cab and engine" end of the truck weighs more than the "empty box" end. Add another 700 pounds in front of the front axle and you've made the situation that much worse.

11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

For those that are spatially challenged, picture a see-saw. Now picture you and your fat buddy sitting on the see-saw.

The plow is your fat buddy and you are the empty truck bed.

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Andy

I have a 2001- 2500HD Ext.cab with a BOSS & no you don't have to have BALLAST in the bed. But It does make for a better ride & better traction with the extra weight. ;) I have a salter on the back & about 1500# of bag salt in the bed. :waving: My truck nose drops only 1/2" with the blade lifted up with or without ballast.