1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 90plow, May 29, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How much would a 97 ext. cab 8 ft bed diesel automatic weigh in at. I was just curious because my friend has this truck and he keeps arguing that it weighs 9000 pounds but that is the GVWR(8900 to be exact). So just give me a rough estimate on the wieght so i can figure out how much the truck and trailer combo we pull weighs in at.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well my '97 chevy diesel weighs in at 6400Lbs reg cab. so I'm gonna guess that that truck would be in at 7k-7,700 lbs.best way to find out is go to a transfere station they have a truck scale and will weigh you in that is what I did.
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

cool thanks
  4. bgrover

bgrover Member

I once had to get the weight of a trailer when I transfered the title from MD to PA. I went to my local truck stop and used their scale. First I went on with the trailer then I droped the trailer and did just my truck.

Since I did it within a few minutes they were nice enough to only charge me for 1 weighing (not that it was that expensive).
  5. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Well if the vehicle says that the GVW is 8900 lbs, that being the gross weight all you have to find is the light weigth. IS this a F-250 or and F-350?

I would probably bring the truck to a scale house and see empty what is weights, but I might guess something like 6800 to 7400 lbs

Also remember I believe that the rule of thumb is tonque weight is only 10 or 15% of trailer weight. So if you pull a 10,000 trailer at most you should be putting on 1500 pounds. You might be at the weight limit as long as your not loaded in the truck bed. Also remember above 10,000 trailer you might need a CDL in some states. CT you do.
  6. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

My 2000 F 250 Extended cab, standard trans, long box, PS shipping weight is 6800. Add a tool box, driver, fuel and the weight goes up. No way is this dudes truck weighing 9K unless he has added a lot of stuff to the truck. If you can find a farm CO OP you can weigh there for free. If not a Flying J charges $7 for a scale.
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My '97 F-350 Powerstroke dually with dump body has a tare weight of 8500 lbs. My '81 F-350 gas pickup was 5500 lbs, the '97 is basically the same truck with safety upgrades, add 500lbs. Add another 500 lbs for the diesel and I think it's safe to bet that truck is between 6500 and 7000 lbs, considering the extended cab