1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight what do you use and how much?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Redmowers, Dec 30, 2000.

1. Redmowers

Redmowers Junior Member

I made a weight that bolts on below our hitch 220lbs of 5" solid round steel,a real simple design.This leaves the bed for other uses and puts the weight way behind the rear wheels.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I use a tailgate salt spreader and whatever salt is in the bed for weight. I have had 3000lbs at times, but prefer 1000lbs as any heavier is tough on truck. Its removable (80lb bags) and useable (traction).

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I too have a tailgate spreader (Pro Flo 2, about 325-lbs.) riding around on the back of my truck. Once I put a few hundred pounds of salt in it, it's plenty heavy. It kind of seems like since I mounted the air bags a little to the front of the rear axle, the spreader is really good leverage for taking weight off of the front end.

-Tim

4. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

I use all my busted meyers parts for weight, I'd guess there's a couple hundred pounds at least back there.....

5. Skookum

Skookum Member

Friend of mine that I use to help plow. Used concrete blocks banded to skids in the back of his pickups.

In my 2 wheel drive dump truck, my first year using it, I used about a ton of sand. Truck was pretty much unstopable. It could really stack a good pile. I had no problems moving frozen piles from weeks earlier snows that other plowers had put in the wrong place. But it was a problem for me to get rid of sand when spring came. Pit would not even allow me to just give it back to them. Finally found a concrete company to take it.

After first year and since, in the dump truck, I use a load of about 3 yards of mulch. Then, come spring I am ready to go when it is time to start mulching. I think that works pretty well for my situation. Always figured the mulch would work as a traction use if needed, have never had to find out yet, though.

In pickup, I use solar salt bags. About 10 - 15 bags depending on weight of bags, 50lbs - 80lbs. After season, I use up the salt for my house water softner.

Unfortunately, I do not do salt apps, but those that do, I think have a ideal setup since all ready having to haul salt.

6. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Member

i have an e-z dump insert...works ok for me

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We got hit with about 16 inches yesterday and i didnt have any wieght in the back of my 350 so i called a loader over and puff 2 yards of snow in the bed worked great.Now that the storms over i gotta thaw it out!

8. Dusty

Dusty Member

I have a concrete block 4' square by 1' thick with a piece of rebar in it for a loop. Put it in the bed in the fall and dump it out in the spring. Have used it for 10-12 years now.