1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight questions:Truck with skidsteer & plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EasylyConfused, Jan 14, 2006.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused Junior Member

What kind of 4X4 truck could I buy to LEGALLY & SAFTLEY pull:
    10,000lb trailer (2000lb Trailer & 7,000lb Bobcat with attachments)
    1000lb plow on the front of the truck (blizzard 810)
    500lb in passengers
    =11,500lbs total

Would an older (approx 1995) F-250 be able to pull this weight legally without exceeding payload, max axle ratings, towing capacity, or any other weight rating that I may be overlooking or am I just out to lunch?
    How about a newer 2000 F-250?

Where can I find the towing capacities and GVWR of older trucks?
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I know that the older trucks weren't able to carry that kind of weight legally. I know that the 95' won't be able to. THe newer trucks do high higher GVW's and the 2000 you have may be able to do what you are trying to do.
  3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Any one ton will handle that.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I know that my 04 2500HD could pull it. It has a gvw of 10000 and trailer rating of 9800 on receiver and 15000 on gooseneck.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Do not use an old body style Ford F250. Front axle will be the limiting factor for the Blizzard. Think you need a dually to do that legally. If you're not worried about going over the GVWR of the truck, then you'd need a srw F350 or equivalent. That skidsteer and trailer would be good ballast forr that plow. Kind of a ***** backing though:nod:

6. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Look for a 1 ton just to be on the safe side. Only reason I would concider a 3/4 ton would be if you allready had it, or knew ware you could get one realy realy cheap, or a 1 ton would not be allowed to park at your location.
    Another option would be to put the trailer hitch on the skid steer and tow the trailer with the truck on it. LOL
  8. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i'm not sure about the plow on front but we had a 1993 f-250 with the 7.3L diesel in it. That thing pulled a 12K skidloader trailer that weighs atleast 3,000 pounds alone (its a deck-over hydraulic tilt trailer), and a 8,000 pound compact track loader. It handled the pulling part with no problem and was "legally" able to do so.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  9. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

You'll find that most trucks will tow any thing at a reasonable speed, diesels and big blocks giving you the power to forget that you are towing something, but it all comes down to stopping. We rent to 8 landscapers at our shop and up until this year, no body was running brakes on there trailers (carrying those small John Deere tractors and other equip) and they were burning up the breaks in their trucks. So, don't worry as much about the truck as you do the trailer breaks!