1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Quality SR, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone put a 8' 6" Western V plow or bigger on a Gmc 2500 Hd d max, ext. cab, 6' 5" box? I am on the western website, and it says only the 7'6" models. The same truck with gas you can put a 7'6" straight blade all the way up to the wide out. I know that the diesel engines are heavy, has this been done? Did you have any problems? Thanks Rich
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

my boss has i believe a 9' hiniker c plow on the front end of his 2500HD duramax he hasnt had any front end problems yet in 2 years of hard comercial use.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have seen guys run 9'2" boss vees on the fronts of there Duramaxs. I am putting a 8'2" onmine within a few months. You shouldn't have a problem with that western. Just get some timberns for the front and add some ballest to the rear behind the rear axle.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Western and fisher are just trying to cover themself by saying you can't do it. I have seen many of western 8.5 V on that same set up. They figure you are going to try to put 6 people in the truck and try to plow with it. The 6 people and plow would put you over the front gross axel weight. I would just put 500lbs in the bed of the truck and you will be just fine.
  5. chrisd

chrisd Member
    from buffalo

Quality Sr

I Would Go With A Chevy 2500hd. I Had My 05 F350 Bought Back Because It Was Such A Piece It Was Junk. It Had Motor (6.0 Psd) , Tranny, And Electrical Problems. The Problem Took Over A Month To Get The Parts Needed To Fix It. I Lost The Truck The Day Before The Valentines Day Storm. Truck Was Still Under Warranty But No Rental With A Plow.

I Bought A 07 Classic 2500hd D-max/allison. Love The Truck. It Is All Over The Ford. The Front End On The Ford Was Heavier, But My Brother Had A 03 Hd D-max Ext Cab With A 8.5 Fisher Vee. The Truck Never Had Any Front End Problems. He Sold It To A Friend And It Is Still Going Strong 75,000 Miles Later. I Have A 7.5 Fisher Vee And I Don't Have Any Problems With My Front End.

Gm Has It All Over It From Ride, Power, And Tranny.

Just My Opinion
  6. Quality SR

Thanks for your opinion Chris. I have heard alot of stuff about the Fords. I am looking to put an 8' 6" V on my truck, and i want something that will hold up. I am still shopping around.
  7. Quality SR

I figured that. Unfortunately I plow solo. The last person I had in my truck was my fiance, (it was a 30" February 2006 storm) she got sick from driving forward and backward. LOL Thank god she opened the door :realmad:
    Are there different mounts one for the straight blade and one for the v? or are they the same? By the way Will did you get your plow yet? Rich
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

All wester plows use the same mounts. Including the old UNImount with the adapter kit.. Also the wideout used the same controller (different backing plate) as the MVP plus. so you can drive up to the MVP plus, hook up and break lanes. Drop the MVP and hook right up to the Wideout. For mega clearing action. You can see this action on the fisher website video doing the same thing.