1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Dec 9, 2008.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

what should i use for a big weight in the back of my truck that isnt going to look rediculas going down the road asand everyday driver?
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I just took about 12 concrete blocks, filled the holes part way with rocks and concrete, and keep them up against the tailgate- about 300 lbs and works well- easy to take out too.
  3. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I use 600 pound of sand. Bought it in 50 pound bags. Play sand to be exact.
  4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I purchased the bags online for 16 cents ea and fill them with sand
  5. i use firewood when i am done i pile it in the wood shed its got to e moved anyway . sand bags work good but freze together and you cant allways get them apart . do you have a way to load a pallett ? put somthing heavy on it and put it in when you plow3 goes on !!
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Sand bags are cheap and easy to put in and out. cost you around $3 per 60# bag. They last the winter and then I use them in the sand box come spring.
  7. the new boss 92

well my buddy told me to put a pallet of salt in the back and i would be fine, but the problem is it 12 hundo! im looking to keep it cheap and heavy it will probley stiy in there till summer along with the plow so its not a big deal getting it in and out. so you guys are saying sand bags or bags of cement would be my best bet?
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you put bags of cement in, plan on those bags being hard as a rock when you take them out. I just use salt. Since I am using the salt anyhow, it only makes sense. If you don't salt go with the sand bags.
  9. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

8 bags of tube sand and four 80 LB bags of salt, thats what works for me. Stays nice and dry under the tonneau cover.
  10. alivings

alivings Junior Member

I use a 600 lb. sandstone outcopping (3'x4'), it lays low in the bed.
  11. the new boss 92

do you think 600 hundred pounds is going to be heavy enough? i think i need a little more than 600? my truck comes up about a bumper hight in the back and i think i need about a 1000 or so to level the truck out a bit.
  12. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I usually use wall block thats left over from jobs, 10 is usually about 500-600.
  13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have 750 lbs of sand and salt behind the rear axle and it levels out nice.
  14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I auctually use about 750 pounds on salt. Start putting more than that in and your just wasting fuel if you ask me.
  15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

16. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It would be helpful if we knew what kind of truck and plow you have.

For my '06 2500 I've got the space between the rear of the fenderwells and the tailgate stacked full of broken sidewalk chunks. Probably close to 800 lbs (I haven't weighed it) and it rides very nice. My old Ford dump truck requires 1500 before the ride starts to smooth out.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  17. the new boss 92

sorry bout that. i have a 92 chevy 1500 reg cab short bed. its a boss 7'6 straight blade super duty. my dad took the truck today and he said he going to try and get a couple hundred little paver bricks to stack neatly in the back and see how that goes. any other ideas if that doesnt work?
  18. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I put a walmart rubbermaid container in the back and it holds 300lbs (50lb) bags of ice melt and or salt. Two of those would do the trick. Stays dry and contained.
  19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

We use a pallet of salt in one truck, three 300# elevator counterweights on another truck, and a couple sections of I-Beam in another.

My general rule of thumb was to use a ballast weight at least equal to or greater than the plow weight. In your case, the plow is probably about 700#. Therefore, I would aim for a ballast weight of 700-900#.
  20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict