1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight on a tractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stslawncare, Nov 1, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

hey guys, this year my primary piece of equipment is going to be my tractor, last year i only used it on one driveway (only had 1 or 2 plowable snows). this year i will have at a minimum 3, hopefully around 10. have had a hard time getting accounts because everyone says we wont have any snow. anyways my tractor is a 23 year old 16 hp craftsman tractor with a plow on the front (36" i think). what is the best way to put weight on this? is it needed? how good will traction be? i will have chains on the back. i will need to be able to drive this tractor from account to account, a block or two tops, but dont wanna be getting stuck between each driveway.

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Scottie,

Not sure what kind of weight you want to add, but you might try and call Sears and ask them if they have a weight kit.

I recall some of the older models had a wheel weight that mounted on the outside of the wheel.

Rick

3. long0

long0 Senior Member

The Craftsman website has info and pricing on wheel weights.
    Craftsman

Another place to check would be Tractorbynet.com

The guys on that site are very much like everybody on this site, they are the experts when it comes to tractors.

Andy

4. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

rooster, the weight kits and sears etc are very expensive, they are indeed the wheel kits. i was hoping to do something homemade, maybe mount on the back??? is weight really needed? whats the best location?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Most tractors I see use a chuck of concrete in a bar that can be attached to the drawbar.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The reason for wheel weights is to not overstress the axle and frame of the tractor. The other reason, is that you can only add so much to the draw bar (or 3 point hitch) before the tractor becomes an unsafe "wheelie machine".

Scottie, you can get pretty creative with a set of steel weights (like for weight lifting) from a garage sale, etc. You just need to drill your own holes, and use some threaded rod to attach them to the Craftsman wheels. The wheels most likely already have a set of square holes in them, that are there for attaching wheel weights.

I used to drive a Ford 2000 tractor, with front weights, and a York rake on the rear that had a weight tray on it that we lined with concrete blocks. It had a "dirt plow" on the front that we used on paths in the local parks. It didn't do to well in the snow. The old walk behind Gravelys did better, and eventually we switched to Hustlers with blowers and brooms.

I drove another Ford 2000 that had a York rake and blocks on the rear, wheel weights, chains, and a front end loader on it. It didn't do to well in the snow.... We ended up using it to stack only.

~Chuck

7. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I think your best bet would be to add some wheel weights. I found two 50 lbs. cast iron weights from a john deere tractor and drilled two holes to match my wheels.

I know that craftsman tractor snowblowers come with rear ballast. It has this plate that attatches and you add sand to a big bucket. You could probably fabricate something like that.

A problem I have is getting traction on the front. In snow I have to slow down and take corners wide or the front wheels will just skid when you turn.

If you don't have any hills or anything to climb, I think wheel weights and chains will do the trick.

PS Here is a pic of the wheel weights I found:

wheelweight.jpg

8. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Another cheap thing would be

Get the tires loaded
    they install tubes and fill them with calcium chloride ?
    any tractor place should be able to do this

or keep on checking E-bay