1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight of snow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Barrakudaman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

I know it may seem like a stupid question, but this is my first year and a lot of my customers want snow hauled away. I have a 14' dump trailer with 4' sides and two 7k axles under it. Am i going to be able to fill that thing to the top with snow or is snow like dirt and i can only fill it a 1/4 of the way. Thanks in advance, just wanna know if i need to start looking for some type of dumb truck. Whats the best method?:help:

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

U can put two foot extensions on those sides and lift that, no problem. We do a lot of removal using dump trailers just like that.

3. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

coat that trailer if Fluid Film so the snow does not stick

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truley asking a loaded question. There is no set ammount that snow weighs. It all depends on the moisture content of the snow. You will have to get a feel for it as you go. If it is a wet heavy snow then you might only be able to fill it half full. If it is a dry powdery snow then you may be able to put 5 foot extentions on it and still be fine. As stated above though coat the floor and sides with Fluid Film, and it will come out alot easier. You should be able to get Fluid Film in 5 gallon buckets and spary it with a garden type sprayer.

5. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

Thanks for the info.

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Are we talking resi's or commercial? Snow takes up way more room then people think it does.

7. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I read WET snow weighs 900 pounds per yard( wet snow/ ice would be a worst case scenario) . Assuming your trailer is 14'x7' with 4' sides that is 14.5 yards. A full load of WET snow comes in at 13,050 pounds. Did I do my math right? :dizzy:

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

The weight of snow pr cubic foot. Thanks to wiki answers.

"The weight of snow varies greatly. Light fluffy snow may only weigh about seven pounds per cubic foot. More average snow may weigh 15 pounds per cubic foot and drifted compacted snow may weigh 20 pounds or more..."

Let's figure this out...
    There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot of water - that's about 62.4 pounds.

For Wet Snow
    Let's say wet snow would be equivalent to 1" of rain or 5" of snow, you would get a resulting 62.4/5 = 12.5 pounds.

For Light, Fluffy Snow
    Let's say fluffy snow would be equivalent to 2.5" of water and 12" snow, you would get 62.4/12 = 5.2 pounds.

9. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

not trying to hijack or anything but those of you that FF your dumps how often do you have to apply throughout the winter?

10. buckwheat_la

assuming your weights are right, yeah, that is about how it works out, and the trailer has a 10 000lb limit, BUT, unless you are packing in that snow hard, you well never get snow packed in that tight, especially along the edges, and if you do, you well never get it out, fluid film or not.

11. buckwheat_la

a warning about fluid film in your trailer, only do it if you aren't using that trailer to move around equipment

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Buckwheat. I guess I never really thought of that. Nothing sucks more than running into the front of the trailer every time you hit the breaks, or having everything slide around everytime you hit the breaks or turn a corner.

As far as Fluid Film goes, I spray my plow 1 time a month. I spary the spreaders every storm after I wash them down, and I spray the dump bed at least 1 time a month, or more often if I am hauling snow, more like everytime I finish for the day.

13. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Any newbies who are unfamiliar with Fluid Film and live in the US can get a free sample can by PM'ing me their contact info. :D

14. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

Isnt it hard to pull and dump around in the snow? and wesr do you dump the snow you take away?

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Where the heck is leon when you need him?..?...:D