1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight of salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TritonSnownIce, Nov 6, 2006.

1. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

does anyone know how much a yard of salt weighs ?

2. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Salt is 72 pounds per cubic ft. So, it should be 1944 lbs. per cubic yard.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Weight of Salt:

Coarse Salt@ 1350# per cubic yard
    Fine Salt @ 2025# per cubic yard

4. TritonSnownIce

Thanks Mick. Do you think I would be overloading my F350 with a 8' Western Ice Breaker and 2.5 yards of salt ???

5. Mick

from Maine

Probably. Have you tried weighing the truck empty? Do you know the available payload? I think that spreader probaby weighs about 700#. I know two yards of sand in an 8' Vbox was putting mine a little over. But sand is considerably heavier than salt.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  6. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Two yards at a time you should be fine. I have a similar setup.:redbounce

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is that F350 SRW or DRW? We have a 2003, 3500 GMC DRW with a 9' steel deck. We have 2x6 boards around the top of our salter and we are close to 12,000lbs full. We do not shovel into the corners, just load with the skid steer and leave. Our truck is a gas truck.

8. TritonSnownIce

SRW PSD F350 is the truck.

9. Mick

from Maine

You're probably real close. Check the max weight for your tires. That's where the limitation is going to be. Then times two. Get the weight of your truck's rear end, weight of the spreader is about 700# and two yards of salt. Add them all together. I'd think it's about the same as a 3/4 ton and I've seen them really squat with a loaded Vbox. I tended to give them a lot of room for tires to blow.

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Another thing to consider is the moisture content. Sometimes we'll load a hopper of salt, and it will be dry..not too bad. Other times, the material will weigh up to 1 1/2 times the amount of the dry stuff. It all depends on the load that they get.