1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight of salt sand per cubic yard??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FisherVMan, Dec 2, 2010.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I am sure this has been asked a dozen times but what is the weight of salt sand like the state uses to do our roads ????? I have a contanier that is 53" X 37" by 20" tall and am wanting to use it level full of salt sand as ballast and am wondering the approximate weight is going to be??? :confused:

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Depends on the mix.

Sand is ~3k/yard and salt is closer to 2k/yard.

So if you have 90/10 sand/salt it would be approx 2900 lbs per yard.

3. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Several years ago I had a Roadway Terminal to plow and salt in the Poconos.They had a scale outside for the trucks to weigh before they could leave the yard.Several times after weighing my dump empty and then loaded with one yard of non-treated salt the average weight was 2300lbs -2400lbs.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Man....CDLs and Math.....What else are you hiding up those sleeves...:salute:

Your in the Ball Park....you have to take into account moisture content of the Materal...:drinkup:

5. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Yes you are correct about moisture.It can really change the salt weight fast.

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Whats is the weight of the bin??

Wondering what the conversion is for that bin that is 53"X37"X20" what is it actually going to weight if we use 3000lbs to the yard ??????? Do you convert the inches to yards or yards to inches ???? Is there a Math major out there in cyberspace ????:rolleyes:

7. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

If you use a base weight of your material at 3000lbs your weight will be roughly 2500lbs. Your container is just shy of 22.69 cu ft.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Really? You can't figure the volume of a box?

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm certainly not a math major but this isn't rocket science.To keep it simple,express everything in feet--ie: your 20'' is 1.67'.Multiply your LxWxD,then divide by 27 as there is 27 cu.' per 1 cu. yd.[3'x3'x3'=1cu. yd.]Just remember--this is fine here for figuring ''loose'',but when you are estimating yardage for say a lawn job on topsoil,whatever figure you come up with,figure in 10-15% compaction loss due to the topsoil being fluffed up ''loose'' in the truck.

10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well thanks so much for the help guys .............. I think about 1/2 full is plenty for the truck... thanks again