1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight needed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dan Massey, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Dan Massey

Dan Massey Junior Member

How much weight should i put in th ebed of my truck to plow? I have a F150 8' box and a 6'8" sno way plow. I did order timbrens and they will be here thursday. Thanks for the advice.

2. StillwaterMNBoy

StillwaterMNBoy Junior Member

More than you think...

I would put approximately a 1000 lbs of weight in the back or your mother-in-law... whichever weighs more.

:nono:

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

you don't need 1000lbs! I don't run any most of the time and if I do its only like 400lbs

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Most cases you should only need to run something like half the total weight of the plow... 1000lbs for that little snow way is overkill.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't go anymore than 400lbs too.

6. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

lever and pivot

think of your vehicle as a lever and the front wheels as the pivot. a 600lb plow and an 8 foot lever should be less than 400lbs but you want a little extra for traction. my final answer is 400lbs. or you can do what I did: just keep putting it in until it looks balanced then test drive.

7. Dan Massey

Dan Massey Junior Member

Thanks for tha advice all my mother in law appreciates it.