1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight limit on the front end?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mike F150, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Mike F150

Mike F150 Junior Member
    from maine

I have a 1993 F-150 with a 5.0L, with extended cab.The front axle gross weight limit is 3275 lbs. Most trucks like mine that came with a snow plow option from Ford, have a 3800 lbs front end weight limit. Can I still put on a 1992 Fisher 7 1/2' plow that weights about ...... lbs, if I'm real careful? Maybe I can beef up the front end ( Dana 44) by adding airbags in the front coils, and replace the 2 shocks and coils with strong ones. I have a 100' drive way and would remove the plow to go to town, or use my car. When plowing I would try to keep the plow down most of the time and not push against the snow banks. I would push the snow way back 100' from the driveway at the beginning of the snow season. Please help, I bought this truck to plow, know i find out i may not be able to because of the front end weight limit. I was told there was know weight limit 15 years ago, its added know for insurance libility concerns, which makes more sense to me.

Thanks for any info.
    Mike
    :bluebounc

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Get the air bags and don't worry about it. Your on your own property and not running around town with it.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

FVMSSA (Federal Vehicle Manufacturers Safety Standards Act) states that no more then 62% of a vehicles gross weight can be on the front axle. Federal guidelines also state you can not exceed the Gross Regestered weight of the vehicle.
    The first applies if you are a manufacturer or a professional installer, the only way it would affect you would be if you where in an accident and they charged that your installation of the plow caused or increased the damage and injury, and then unless someone died it would be civil rather then criminal.
    The second only counts if you get weighed, doubtful it would happen.

All that said, Buy a 3/4 ton pick-up. it will hold up better, and give you peace of mind. You have already given it a great deal of thought, and your correct in your thinking it's not a good move to put a plow on it. The stress will wear it out soon and the extra money you are talking about spending would go a long way to a 3/4 ton upgrade. Or a Heavy 1/2 at least.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The only thing different on your truck and the 3800lb version in the springs and maybe a bigger trans cooler and ps cooler. Same axle same everything else. You don't need a bigger truck. In the event your buiying a new truck anyways buy bigger but for 1 personal driveway you will be ggod to go.
    Stay off the road with it and legaly your fine.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There was a weight limit 15 years ago- it's not set by the insurance companies, it's set by the vehicle designers and engineers. You know, how much load a given vehicle design is physically able to hold, and for how long.....

You're talking about plowing your own drive way and nothing else- don;t sweat it.

I would suggest finding out for sure from other sources besides here IF the front axle in this truck Is in fact the same as one with plow prep. That is often not the case, but if it is, an upgraded suspension (replacing the springs with the plow prep ones) would solve the issue completely, if unnecessarily.