1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight issues

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Harleyvu, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Harleyvu

Harleyvu Junior Member

Weight issues

New to the forum, love the info. Here is my problem.
    I have an 06 gmc 2500HD long bed crew cab diesel, every place i call only wants to put on a 7.5 plow. Boss says they don't recommend any blade, Western says 8' mid weight is all they will put on, and Blizzard, when you can actually get someone on the phone, was little help but online only wants an 8' straight blade.
    I was all excited about the Blizzard 810 power plow, but apparently that is out of the question. Any help with this would be great, I plow a little of everything. I sub work from someone with a city bid to do street, as well as a landscaper who does retirement villages, and hope to get a parking lot or two next winter. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

any scales near by?

Just a thought,
    Maybe put your front wheels on a scale and see how much it really weighs,then at least you'd have an idea of your wiggle room...I don't know if that would work but I'd give it a try.
    Then you could match the weight of a plow setup to your front end instead of just size.
    Just a thought.

3. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

I have a good Friend with a 810 with long bed crew with duramax has had it for 2 years no problems.he had a Western 8 1/2 before that.I love my 810 maybe look at the speed wing it is a little lighter.

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Problem with that is you do not get the effect of the ballast. Put 700lbs behind the rear axle and you might be 200lbs or so less on the front. Pretty sure the plow companies have that figured in on their formulas. I am sure they all would want there heaviest plow on a diesel, but even with the loss of profits they have to draw the line somewhere.

If being overweight on the front axle (illegal is the worst case) is ok, then many have put the 810 on with good results.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Thats is a seriously huge truck without any ballast or plow...how much does the thing read at the scales when its got a full tank of gas and driver? My 2000 ecsb is about 5800lb give or take, the long bed must add a good couple hundred pounds on top of that and the crew cab even more...that thign has got to be close to 7000lb empty. With the big DMax over the front axle a decent sized plow is probably putting you over the front end max...close anyway.

6. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I know a BOSS 8.2' V plow would work perfectly on that truck. I don't know why the plow you are looking at wouldn't work great! Trouble is you get to small you can't get the snow past the side of your truck.

7. Harleyvu

Harleyvu Junior Member

Thank you everyone so far
    you all do have me interested in what the weight of the truck is with a full tank and my winter weight butt in the seat. Will try to swing by some place tomorrow with a scale.
    For some reason i am not so sure about a V blade, never used one and don't know that i would really need it here on the Jersey Shore.
    The speed wing might be the best answer so far. Just the place i have to put it on seems a bit clueless.
    I really liked the attachable wings on the Western as well as the back blade. plus the place that would put it on seems the most reliable and knowledgeable. But they won't put anything bigger than the 8.

8. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i was in the same boat we have a 3500srw boss said a 8"6
    and western said 8"6 v we end up putting a plow from a old truck 7"6 boss poly and even with that plow you need 1000lbs in the back hope that helps

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've got two 06 Duramaxes
    One is a regular cab, work truck long bed and it's got the plow on it
    the other is our "go across the country truck" exactly as you describe, Crew cab, long bed, duramax, and it's a big heavy truck. (and it doesn't turn worth a darn) The regular cab is a much faster truck, it weighs way less, you can just feel it just putzing around. (gets better mileage too)

I wouldn't put more than a 7.5 on it either, or maybe a poly plow or something. But a big old 8 footer is just going to be too much I would think.

I haven't weighed this one, but before i had a crew cab long bed dually (Ford) and it was 7200lbs with 1/2 tank of diesel!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I am surprised you can put a plow on a crew cab. It was not long ago (or it was an Urban legend) that a dealer had to Buy back all the crew cab trucks he sold with plows The reasoning was because they over loaded the F axle IF you plowed with six 200 # Men in the cab.

11. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

I have Meyer CP 8.5

06 D-max ext cab short bed with 8.5 Meyers Poly Plow.No Problem!This truck is a plowing monster.T-Bars jacked to max and 265-75-16.

12. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Take your GVWR and subtract out the weight of your truck with a full tank of fuel and you as a driver. Now subtract the entire weight of the plow setup and the recommended ballast. You have to be under on GVWR and GAWR front and rear. With the diesel, you don't have enough payload left for a big plow.

13. Harleyvu

Harleyvu Junior Member

Just heard back from the Blizzard guy who say no problem putting an 810pp on my truck. This is a 950lbs plow. Who do i believe? Will this be ok or will i be killing my truck?

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I do not think you would be killing your truck, unless you left it on all the time. Just keep plenty of ballast when the plow is on.

As far as being legal on the front axle that is close and the only way to tell is weigh it as the others have mentioned (with ballast).

Good luck.

15. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

16. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Go with a 8.6 poly DP Sno-Way Plow,,, got one on my old 87 1/2 and it plows sweet, don't weight as much and the Down Pressure is the best!

Plus what ever plow you put on you will want to crank your torsion bars a few turns! :waving:

17. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my buddy had this same problem with his 05 ram 2500 cummings crew cab short bed, no one wanted to put anything bigger then a 7'6 said the combanation of the cummings, and the crew cab made it too heavy. curtis ended up putting on whatever plow he wanted, but no one else would.

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

HarleyVU

You are not alone.. look weighing it will tell you how much is on you front end now. But will this help you? Think of this.. if you added a plow right over your axles you would know how much more you would add but hanging out in front adds more weight front the back of the truck to the front axial ass well. That's why you'll see the rear end rise up. Theoretically speaking If you added ballast of equal weight of the plow behind the rear rear axial at the same distance out, you would only add the weight of the plow directly over the front wheels. so adding more weight out back would take weight off the front axial. It can be done but you can't go over the rear weight limits or the total GVW of your vehicle. Fisher said to me that they just don't go over the 62% of the front GVW. To me that's low but a rule of thumb they use. you see if you had a 3500 dually you would have the same front GVW and could get a huge plow but you would need to counter weight the plow out back. Having a 3500 gives you the room to add more counter weight and not be over total GVW.

By the way, I think they add in (5) 200 pound passengers in your truck as well, because it's physically possible. would you? most likely not.

I just added timbrins cranked up my bars about an inch ( 4-5 full turns) and only add 300lbs of ballast ( 6-50 lbs bags of tube sand). It handles the 8' X-Blade very well. My friend with a F250 diesel with the same blade drops a little more than mine now. his front GVW is 8000, mine is that same as yours 4800.

19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same issue when getting a plow. I have a 3500 crew cab and they would not put a plow on it period. I then got them to call sno-way and they would only put a 7.5 on this huge truck! The story they all gave me was that the truck would be so large and heavy that it could knock a school bus over and as urban legend goes there apparently was a case. ( Although, I never read it first hand ). Bottom line it had nothing to do with the trucks capacity and every thing to do with liability.

BTW - I did switch the blade to an 8 footer.

20. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

^^ What asinine reasoning on the installer's behalf. What about all those guys out there running topkicks with big spreaders and 9' blades as plow trucks? Those things are double the weight of a 3500 crew cab.