1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight in the rear?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by f2501960, Oct 24, 2002.

1. f2501960

f2501960 Junior Member

The Truck: 1997 5.8L (Old Body Style) F250HD XCab 4X4
    The Question:
    It's my first year plowing on my own. Many years ago I plowed with my dad's Dodge Power Wagon. I was wondering if you should add any weight in the bed over the axel? My dad never did however it sounds like it would make sense to me.

Thanks in advance. :drinkup:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  2. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

I have 2 trucks. 1 dodge 2500 2/4 ton. and 1 ford f-250 3/4 ton.
    I always have 1 pallet of salt in each truck. The weight help a LOT!
    It gives you more traction and most likely, you wont be getting stuck. Happened to me before, i was out plowing one of my smaller comercial lots, I had about 9 bags of salt, (not enough)
    each bag weights 80 pounds. I got stuck 3 times with my dodge.
    There was a f-150 pick up that drove by and turned around to pull me out with his chains. I felt stupid, a f-150 pulling my dodge
    2500 out. :eek: . And to answer your question, yes, weight will help you. If you dont have it, you will slide all over. :eek:

ultimate lawns and more,
  3. Ben

Ben Member

I plow with at least 600 pounds in the back. The extra weight lets you plow in 2wd in large flat lots.
  4. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

I plow with a1977 1/2 ton chevy short bed truck with a 8' 2" V Boss with 400 to 600 lbs of weight in the bed. I took 2x4 and cut out frames 24" square and filed with cement. Makes it easy to add or take away weight.:eek:
  5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Weight in rear

I plow with a 1 ton SRW diesel and put a 800 pound slab of steel Right near the tailgate,I drilled and bolted right through the box to the frame.I used this same weight on my older 1/2 tons,It makes a huge difference over an empty truck.
    I think the more balanced the rig is front to back the better it goes,Also the rear axle of the truck is made heavier so it is meant to do most of the driving. I have less front driveline trouble than my Partner with a similar truck with no ballast.
    Another advantage is when you lift the plow 1 inch to push out onto the grass the plow actually goes up instead of the rear of the truck rising and the plow not lifting.The farther back the weight the better,You know the leverage thing!!
    The only thing stopping me from adding more weight is that the plow is not strong enough,Because the plow has to stop the weight of the whole truck when I do something real dumb.
    If I get time this year I want to put some lead ballast in my rear bumper just to get it back a little farther,I have been collecting wheel weights for a couple years they dont cost much.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Ditto above.

Just make sure your weight is secured, if you hit the brakes hard or have a snow bank stop you short, you'll get slammed by your weight, at the very least causing damage to your truck.
  7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well i put my tailgate sander on the back and the weight of it helps quite a bit.then when you put sand in it well it's plenty.
  8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

DO NOT use pallets of/or just rock/stone... I've seen it done, I also saw the aftermath of the one piece that found it's way loose went through the back window, past the drivers head, crack the windshield & come to rest on the dash. That guy was real lucky his head was sticking out the side window at the time.

Whatever you use secure it down in some way. Chevy has slots for boards in front of & in back of the well hub. Perfect fit for sandbags.
    You can easily build a frame to hold whatever you use in place with some 2x4's & 2x6's...

Same idea as with a 2wd truck ballast in the back both gets ya & keeps ya going. With 4wd you always want the rear doing most of the work. Plus is helps to counter balance the weight of the plow hanging way out front.
  9. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey got grass,
    It's not a big deal to use pallets of salt,rock or sand. Well, i should say, i have a back rack and a tool box. So for me i dont think that would happen. so if you have something like what i have, you should be safe.

ultimate lawns and more,
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Ultimate, I think you will find (though I hope you don't) if you are involved in an accident or have to make an emergency stop, your backrack will be of little help when the load slams against it. I've also seen the results of an unsecured load through my fire service. A driver was pinned between the back wall of his cab and the steering wheel when his load hit the cab. A car had pulled out in front of him and he slammed on the brakes, load shifted and caved in the back of the cab. You may wish to reconsider.
  11. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

yes it might be great traction, but what about stopping, the more weight the harder it is to stop right???
  12. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Thats why you drive slow & always be prepared to stop wich you would be doing anyways. Once the blade is down the snow bank at the end will stop ya for sure....
  13. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

I totaly agree with you got grass. In the winter when im driving my trucks with the plows and everything, Im always driving slow on the highways. And pelican, I guess i also agree with you.
    I know what your saying, the salt pallet does not stick up much higher than the tool box i also have. But do you think in the Winter time, That it would really hurt me or even death if i had the tool box and the back rack. The pallet only sticks up about 5 inches higher than the tool box. Im not saying your Wrong, im not saying im right. And also the pallet of salt it wrapped in a black sheet of some kind of stronge material. Im just wondering cause you would Probably know.

ultimate lawns and more,
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'll agree that an object higher than the pickup box is more dangerous than one that is below, but unsecured ballast is dangerous at any height.

The incedent I referenced involved heavy logs that were not secured. The driver slammed on his brakes, the logs continued to travel forward at his original speed, slammed into the pickup box front panel, and onward into the back of the cab.

The driver was stuck between the seat and steering wheel, a hydraulic ram had to be used to relieve the pressure. The driver was fortunate in that he only received bruising.
  15. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well I just bought a skid of landscape bricks from Home Depot tonight. It came wrapped in plastic, and the bricks were strapped with steel bands. I secured the load with Heavy Duty tiedowns. It wasnt going anywhere, as long as one drives sensably.