1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight in the rear of the truck--How Much??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hortboy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

Guys ,

I've never really paid much attention to weight in the rear of the truck always just new some was there and sometimes I struggled w/ not enough weight and other times it was good. I just bought a new Ford F250 w/ 8 foot fisher on it. How much weight do i actually need to have in the bed of the truck??

2. typically its recommended to run at least 3/4 the weight of the plow. But if you have a salt spreader and salt in the bed, you usually outweight the plow easily. The point of the ballast is that the plow will lift some of the weight off the back of your truck and you'll lose some traction, adding the ballast takes care of this problem. You may find that just adding a couple hundred pounds would work for you.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

1/2 to 3/4 of the plow weight. More as you feel needed for traction and such.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you have a regular cab and the 5.4 - 650lbs.

You can go to the Fisher website, enter the vehicle configuration and it will tell you exactly. Click here and click on " start ematch":
    http://www.fisherplows.com/ematch.asp