1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight in rear?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by frksho311, Jan 3, 2006.

1. frksho311

frksho311 Junior Member

New to the site guys so please don't be too hard on me. I've got a 97 1500 short bed regular cab. Just had a Meyers MD-II 7.5 put on. Stock springs all around and will be upgrading to 38/39 in front. My question....is anybody else using a setup like mine and what/where are you using for balast weight in rear? What's a good weight (pds) to use? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have 360 lbs (6-60 pound sand bags) in my 04 Quadcab. They are resting against the tailgate and a 2x6" I put in the slot behind the rear wheels.

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

4. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

i have a 96 1500 Reg Cab with a myer 7.5 also. i have 5 50lb sand buckets and 2 30lb cinderblocks. Why not just put a set of timberns on instead of changing the spring?

5. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Personally, I would go with about 600-750 lbs at the tailgate and see how that rides.

6. frksho311

frksho311 Junior Member

Thanks to all who replied. That "ballast" link was just good to read and reassured what I was thinking. As far as why the new springs, guess that's just a matter of preference. Read allot of input on the "springs" thread and for me, the springs make good sense.

Going to start with 300#'s sitting just inside the tailgate and see if I need more and add if needed.

Thanks again to all that answered. Greg.