1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight for the back of the truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pfeiff, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfeiff

pfeiff Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 and i need to add some weight to the back. how much weight should i add and what should i use? I have about 20 cinder blocks left over from a addition, would that be good enough? Thanks

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

well to start what are you doing with this rig, are you plwing or just driving around town, if plowing what plow are you using, how heavy is it. I run an old style meyers steel plow and with my 3\4 ton trucks and i use around 1,000 lbs. of counter weight. never had a prob with traction. and it levels the trucks.atleast 200 of the thousand lbs is salt(just incase i have a traction problem).

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what you have for a plow but a good place to start would be to go to Fisher Plows website. They have a place on there where they let you input your truck,then select a plow(pic their version most similar to yours)and they will tell you how much ballast to use.

4. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

i think hes asking what everyone uses for ballast- i use 400 pounds of steel pipe cut in half and chained down in the bed

5. 2004 f250 psd

2004 f250 psd Member

hi i have f250 & 8' hiniker c plow it's 830lbs and i have 1000lbs of salt in the bed +500 in the spreader so a total of 1500 lbs

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

No he's asking what & how much he should use, not what others are using. How much more precise than a Mfgs guideline do you want to get? What you like, I might not. I thought that would be a good benchmark. :gunsfiring:

p.s. I use 40 lb bags of icemelt or pelletized lime.

8. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

20 50lb bags of salt works.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Generally, plow manufacurers will recommend 3/4 the weight of the plow be used for ballest. I find that its best to use as much ballest as the weight of your plow. I would go with 500-600 LBS in the bed of a Ram 1500. Cinder Blocks do the job fine, they are also easy to secure in the bed, just run a chain or stronger rope through all of them and anchor to the sides of the bed so they dont go anywhere.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Why are we putting weight in the back of a 4x4? :confused:

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope you are kidding, considering that your profile and signature indicate that you do have some experience plowing.

12. SnowGuy73

Yes, but I've never had to put weight in the back of a 4x4...Only 2wd 1 tons.

13. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

so you dont kill the suspension on you truck by hanging a 1000lbs. on the front of it:nono:

14. TRUE TURF LAWN

i never put weight in i dont have this problem.

15. SnowGuy73

So this way you kill your front from having 1000 pounds up there, and kill your rear by have a few hundred pounds back there...Makes no sense to me but ok.
    :confused:

16. TRUE TURF LAWN

so you hever heard of timbrans!!!!!!!!!!!

17. TRUE TURF LAWN

and theres no plow on the market that goes on a pick up truck that weighs over 1000lbs.

18. SnowGuy73

Well the Blizzard 8611 weight is 1470lbs.

19. SnowGuy73

Sorry, I was just letting you know. :jester:

20. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I would use some bags of sand and some bags of salt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.