1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weight distribution/traction question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Feb 26, 2005.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

Sorry if you've all been through this a dozen times....

My 87 ram charger was spinning wheels so bad yesterday, i thought the transfer case was shot!!!

I wonder if weather conditions might have been a factor... 4" snow, was melting on the pavement for a few hours before it started sticking... seems like just another storm...

I've plowed with this and other ram chargers for years and never had anything like this happen before, so the only thing I can figure is I had too much weight in the tail end of the truck, but that doesn't make much sense either... If there is enough weight in the tail to get the weight off the front tires, wouldn't that be enough weight to give good traction... I was literally spinning wheels on flat ground!

I used to load weight in the back seat and floor area of my old ram charger and that seemed to work great, even in heavy snow... Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Thanks...

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

If the temp dropped you will get a layer of ice with water on top of it :eek: . That will make for a rough day with out a 4X4.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  3. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

That had to be a factor.... temp did drop, but I did infact still have 4x4...
    I called my buddy to see if he was slipping... he said "no"

4. all seasons

all seasons Member

slipping

we had the same problem here,it seemed as you would get good traction one the first pass but then once you exposed the bottom layer it was a sheet of ice from the temp drop.I was slipping and sliding in all my properties that had inclines but on the same token the salt was flowing.sometimes that is the way it goes,i think my tires have a lot to do with it also,its not that they are shot but they could stand to have a more aggressive tread pattern.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i had to put real good tires on it and 400lbs of wieght in the back