1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight difference

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 06Sierra, Feb 18, 2010.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Anyone know the weight difference between a 7.5' MM1 RD and an 8' MM2 HD? The MM1 is a 2001 model and the MM2 is 2005. My father in law is trading his truck and getting a new Fisher put on. He'd swap with me before the trade if I want. They are both 3 plug Insta Act, so I would assume there is no issues there. Just wondering what the difference is between the two. Thanks.

2. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

The fisher website has all of the specs. Weight, dimensions, ect. I think there is Fisher link above.

3. 06Sierra

from Maine

I looked there and couldn't find anything for the RD. Is the 7.5' HD much heavier than the RD?

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just take the 8'. Its an mm2 which is worth more and is all around better, your truck will be fine.

5. 06Sierra

from Maine

I'm sure it will be fine. I only plow my place and my brother's when he needs me to. I figure I will add a little more ballast and crank the t-bars a couple turns. I only paid $1000 for what I have now and I won't have to pay anything in the swap. I won't lose anything:) I was more curious than anything. Thanks guys.

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Something rings a bell of 85lbs which doesnt sound like much, so how that would work out on that arm that far in front of the front end, I couldnt say. I will guess you would need some sorta extra to the suspension like Timbrens [already got em??] Good luck the 8' is nice alright ; 43 is right about that.

7. plowguy43

Yeah I think its around 80 if that. Put it this way- there are guys out there who won't put anything less than an 8' on any full size truck.
    You could always sell it and get another MM1 and pocket the cash!

8. 06Sierra

from Maine

No I wouldn't do that. My father in law won't get anything smaller than 8. He wanted to get a 2500 so he could get a 9' but the dealer didn't have anything he likes. The 1500 he is getting, he really doesn't care for the color. He said the blue was better than the other black, white or red ones.

On a side note to your comment plowguy, a fool I work with has a V on his 1500 x cab.

9. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

If i remember correctly my literature for the MM1 plows says a 7'6" RD is about 715 lbs complete, but that doesn't include a bolt on cutting edge if the plow has one, that's another 60 lbs. A MM2 8ft plow weighs 717lbs (without a bolt on cutting edge = another 80 lbs) without a truck mount, which for a GM is about 45 lbs...so all together its like 760lbs or 840lbs with a cutting edge.

I got all my numbers from the spec sheets on the fisher website for MM2 plows.

For the plowing your doing your truck will be fine with the 8ft if you take it easy.

10. plowguy43

Fishervman has a 7'6" extreme V on his F150 but we all know he has a few screws loose! JK!

11. 06Sierra

from Maine

Thanks Jt. My plow has a cutting edge and the MM2 does not.

I do take it easy with the truck. I make sure I am fully stopped before changing gears and I don't ram snow piles. I want my stuff to last and I dont' see the need to beat on it.

12. 06Sierra

from Maine

The guy I work with has a few loose too! I will give him credit though. The plow is only put on to plow and is taken off as soon as the plowing is done. A lot of guys around here keep the plow on all darn winter.

13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Hope it all works out for ya 06 it sounds like a nice plow!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  14. plowguy43

Hey now, I was kidding around!!!! That's what the JK meant. I have a RD 7.5 on my dakota, people tell me I'm crazY all the time....I think I might be just a little.

15. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have seen a truck in Ellsworth with an 8'6" ez v. The truck is a chevy extended cab with an 8' bed from what I have seen the front end hardly squats I figue he must have trimbrens installed and must have ballest as well.

16. 06Sierra

from Maine

I know you were kidding Plowguy, I should have left out too! The one here has timbrens and that's it, no ballast. It doesn't squat too bad, but that's a lot of weight for a half ton.

17. plowguy43

Yeah I tried to edit that but it's too late. Its all good now!