1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weight Difference between 8 and 7.5 Blade?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Rockdaddy, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Rockdaddy

Rockdaddy Junior Member

I installed a MM1 (underhood pump style) on my 1999 Tahoe. The 8 footer i have makes the front end drop quite a bit, even after cranking up the torsion bars about 5 turns. My question is how much weight can I save by going with 7.6 blade?

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

maybe 100 lbs at the most

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not enough to make it matter. Look into upgrading your keys and bars, and add a set of Timbrens all around. It'll ride like a truck, but they're worth every penny.

4. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

If both Plows are the HD model then it is just under a 100 pound difference

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Being that you're talking about MM1 series plows, the 7.5' from that era would be an RD series, and the 8' would be an HD series... in which case the weight difference is pretty significant. The RD series blade was only 26" high vs. 29" high on the HD series blade. I used to have some old Fisher literature around which told the weights of the plows, but I'm sure it was pretty close to a couple hundred pounds difference between the two back then. Now that the HD series 7.5' blades are 29" high as well, the difference is much less, as the others have said.

6. Rockdaddy

Rockdaddy Junior Member

Thanks for the advise
    I think I'll be going with Timbrens for now and keep an eye open for the lighter RD blade.

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

the timbrens will work good for u