1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weighing some options

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mranum, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mranum

mranum Member

I picked up a '95 Tahoe to replace my F-150. I've been running a 2 rotator mag mount beacon for several years but I'm thinking its just not going to look right on the Tahoe. I was thinking about hide-away strobes in the turn signals up front and the back up lights in the back but I've been reading about how touchy it is trying to get the strobes in the back up lights since its such tight quarters.

Started to think about headliner mounted strobes. Do you get a lot of stray light in the cab from those? I see Tomar(sp?) had an led strobe that had a self adhesive bezel that could maybe mount directly to the windows in the back. Anyone ever used them? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOMAR-R...749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56517afb95

95 Tahoe 2.jpg

95 Tahoe 5.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

For the front you could run a Mini Phantom Max Dash light (with the visor) from SNM. I have two of them out my back window with no visors and even then the flashback is barely everything. You could also get a warning bar to put in the back window, I think they hang from the headliner if wanted.

3. mranum

mranum Member

"SNM"...is that Strobes-n-More?

Thanks for the input!

4. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I would do 2 hideaways in the front and 2 SNM E6 with L brackets mounted to the top headliner in the back

5. mranum

mranum Member

More food for thought. Thumbs Up

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Here is where I would put lights if I was doing a tahoe. The whelen avengers are sync-able so the patterns will be more appealing to the eye.

Mount the front light just below the rear view mirror. And mount the rear window lights centered between the rear windows.

95%20Tahoe%202.jpg

95%20Tahoe%205.jpg

7. jhall22guitar

Is there a license plate bracket for the LEDs to face the rear? or just side? that would be a good option. I mentioned the Mini Phantom since I have personal experience with it, works great. and "only" 84 bucks. I thought the whelen was more. but the E6's would be good for the side and rear.

8. mranum

mranum Member

I think I saw a license bracket for led on one site I was flippin through. But after more thought, that area gets filled with snow fairly quick when your running down roads around here.

You guys have made some nice suggestions thats for sure.Thumbs Up

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

They do make brackets for them, but can be made fairly easily. As far as side mounting you would have to make your own brackets for inside the tahoe.

10. jhall22guitar

If he dosnt mind drilling into the panels below the rear windows (sides) he could use a L bracket and just drill it in. Wouldnt be a clean look but it would get it done easy.Thumbs Up

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

That or remove the panel, mount a bracket to the steel behind it, then re-mount the panel. You may have to trim a little off the panel. It would be a lot more work to make the brackets but the look would be cleaner.

12. jhall22guitar

I like that idea more Thumbs Up but if it was me Im to lazy :salute:

13. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

I have been able to make L brackets look clean inside a car before. It all depends on how much care you put into it. If you take your time mount the bracket and light then drill a hole for the wires and put some wire loom on them it will come out nice.

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

On the Tahoe or other full size GM/GMC suburban or Yukon I would not place anything on the side. They will end up never being used because of the flashback to mirrors right back into your eye's. :dizzy: You can't use them backing up and going forward the bounce back will give you a headache.

If you want good 360 light including sides go to the roof with something. Thumbs Up

15. mranum

mranum Member

Sounds like personal experience talking. ussmileyflag

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is. Old Yukon and was biggest waste of money I spent. I ended up taking them off and using them elsewhere but the hole left had to be plugged because of rust issues. :realmad:

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

We have side lighting mounted inside our rescue suburban and haven't hacks any issues with flash back in the mirrors or any where else. I do wish the lights on the rear window had a flash back shield though.

18. ffjs87

ffjs87 Junior Member
    from MA

I have seen many people put hideaways in their parking/turn lenses, but I have never really "seen" them. Sounds confusing but what I'm getting at is it is not visible from behind the plow. You are welcome to your own opinions but why spend money on something that can't be seen? I know hooking up the plow is enough, but a surface mounted led on the side of the plow headlight, and a weatherproof quick disconnect near the grille is a better investment in my opinion.

19. jhall22guitar

Hide-A-Ways in the rear and a dash light? that would cover front and rear