1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weekend Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.R. Services, Dec 5, 2009.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

Well.. It looks like we're finally gonna something today... the day when most of large jobs:school doc offices are closed!!! I know I'm going to have to make some phone calls but I was wondering whats the normal policy for plowing places that are closed on weekends? Let it sit until sunday night and see if it melts or plow when its over?

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

When we go out we will plow everthing, maybe just change the order and leave those for last. If it is a weekend storm, and it keeps snowing, we will wait and plow them once the snow has stopped. I love school contracts, closed weekends, 2 weeks during christmas, March break, and any time the call for major snow.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Deal with it as it comes.........never wait 24 hours after the storm to service. Too much liability. You never know when someone forgot something at the office or whatever........

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Joel, I doubt we'll get enough to even push any snow. Maybe some salting. It will be warm enough tomorrow to melt everything. I called all my residential's and let them know that if they need me to come out to just give me a call. I don't have any commercial lots so it's not as much of a worry to make sure it cleared.

5. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I don't really know that there is a normal policy...it should be something that is discussed up front. That being said, in my experience, if there is no personell showing up over the weekend then we were usually instructed to make sure the lot was cleared before people showed up early Monday morning.

I can't believe you Southerners are getting snow before us!!! :)

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I waitt until the wife gets me mad then I tell her I have to go plowing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely want to keep everything "open and accessible". But you can wait to plow these places last.

I have three schools. There is some relief as mentioned previously, but I still have to keep them open, deal with the "snow day" class, sporting events over the breaks, etc....

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

You ALWAYS Plow with the storm. Here are just some of the reasons "open and accessible" First and for most again you never know what employee or service provide is going to show up example the paper guy, mail carrier not to mention the emergency services fire, police. By law you have to keep the fire lanes open at least. Next refreeze if you have a storm Friday nite and it melts and refreezes it like breaking ice blocks not the best for equipment. The county or local towns crews plow the streets blocking the entrance and exits of the prop that nite the temp drops and you have instant block of ice the plow wont break it open. Have seen too many times guys ramming there plow to break open the prop and either folding there plow or braking the a frame or worse then the say what happened? Stay on top of the storm this should be in the contract dont let the customer destroy you equipment they think its a snow plow just move it well every snow event has its on problems. I love the customer who just had a ice storm and calls the snow plow guy to just push it away after it is froze to the ground.STUPID:laughing:

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep up with the storm ..Like mentioned above ...It's easier to plow a few inches than to go at many inches..(maybe a Foot).....
    Beat up your truck or make it last !!!!!

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

There are a few problems with leaving something wait til the last minute before places open 1) you could get more snow and it may end up taking a lot longer to plow 2) you could have some melting and then refreezing while leaving it sit, and then you're really screwed if you have 2'' of ice to contend with

11. J.R. Services

Hey! I can dream can't I!! :laughing: While your probably right I thought it'd be a good time to discuss the topic. And up here on the mountain we got about 3" so far, but hardly any on road:cry:

12. ALC-GregH

from pa

I just came back from Frederick. They got more then up my way and over near Smithsburg area. I actually took the long way to see how many guys were out riding around with the plows on and spreaders ready. They were all over the place. Problem is, there's nothing to plow or salt. They were just wasting fuel and money riding around. I didn't see one truck salting or plowing! The ground just wasn't cold enough yet otherwise we would have seen a good 4+ inches from the storm, maybe more. Oh well, patiently waiting for the next one. :)

13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Weekend storms are nice you dont have that rush to get to an account before they have to leave for work or before a business opens. This storm doesnt look big for us maybe a couple inches so ill wait it out and see how it looks in the early am

14. ALC-GregH

from pa

It will be gone by morning.

15. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

plow at end of list but you will get bit in the ass if you wait a day or two.

16. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

My policy, if I know it will melt by the afternoon, i only do the ones that will pay me when I do the "quick plow it before it melts" strategy. But it it's 2 inches, and 40 degrees at 7am, then I won't plow, cuz it's just gonna melt

17. J.R. Services

Looks like refreezing might be more of a problem. Its supposed to be colder tomorrow than it was today. Might throw some salt down tomorrow night if there's still a lot of moisture on the pavement.