1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowGuy, Jul 6, 2002.

1. PlowGuy

PlowGuy Junior Member

Hello All! I'm trying to determine how much exposure any one gets from a website for snow services.

Considering adding one into our advertising for this season.

If anyone has positive or negative feedback, I would appreciate it!

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Just started one this spring so I'll let you know in October how things went. Remember to advertise your website, put it on all your stationary and any signs you might have on your trucks.
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

JD is right. Put the address anywhere you can. I just designed a site for a friend back in April, and he has gotten over 30 requests for estimates through the web site.

One request came when one of his crews was just finishing up a clean up. and was still at the house. The woman e mailed saying the property looked great, and wanted an estimate on a lot of landscape construction work.

The day after I built his site, he sent all his trucks and trailers to his lettering guy to have his website address added.

Last winter, he got a bunch of requests for plowing pricing for commercial sites, because he had a decal on all his trailers with my website adress. I know this because he asked the people where they got his name from, and they told him they saw the decal, went to my directory, and found him. (They also contacted several other contractors in the area that are in my directory).

The site I built has the company name, address, phone & fax number at the bottom of each page, along with an e mail link to sales@theguyscompany.com. Guess what? NO ONE called or faxed, they all used that link to e mail him for estimates!

I have gotten many e mails from contractors who got work because of their listing in my directory. If you have your own address, people will go to your site, which cuts down on competition.....

Bottom line, website addresses on trucks and trailers DO get you the opportunity to take on work.

You can take a look at my directory here:

Read the letters from contractors at the top. It's just a sample of the many I have received.

As far as negative feedback? Well, I can only think of one particular problem..... You need to keep the website updated, which apparently is a problem for some contractors. There is nothing worse than visiting a site and reading old informaion, or outdated offers and company news.

There are many, many more reasons, and ways to keep customers, as well as gaining new ones with a company website, but I won't get into that now..... Get your company "online" and you will see the benefits almost instantly. :drinkup:

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I went into more detail on the SIMA website, in the Members Forum. If you are a SIMA Member, read it when you have a chance. If you are not a SIMA Member, what are you waiting for??

5. PlowGuy

PlowGuy Junior Member

Outstanding, thanks for replies. I'm going to get to work on it!
  6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Chuck made some VERY good points about putting your site address on your trucks, stationery, etc. There are billions of web pages and just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.

Another thing you should do is find out how Search engines work or hire somebody that does. Ignore all the spam from people that claim to be able to get you listed highly. I get them all the time. I usually send them an email asking what keywords I should use to see THEIR site listed in the top spot. I never get a reply :) hmmm...

JD PLOWER has some pretty good positions on Yahoo, Google, etc.

Click here to see the results at Yahoo using - Boston snow plowing contractor.

Using just - snow plowing contractor - will show Chuck's site at the top.

Both are excellent positions, the difference is that Chuck's is for snow contractors in general, while JD PLOWER's is for snow contractors in Boston (or Somerville or Cambridge or Medford or Chelsea or Everett...). It is all in which "keywords" your potential customers use to narrow down their search.

Here is a little known fact: If two pages on the Internet are identical, the one with more links to it will be listed higher. How do you get links to it? By putting it in your profile at Plowsite, by paying Chuck for a listing ;) , etc.

Another little known fact: You don't even have to submit your site to any search engines to get listed (although it doesn't hurt). You just need a link (or more) from a site that IS listed.

Oh boy, I am giving away the family secrets. :eek: Well, not quite all of 'em. :p
  7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Dave made some good points. I agree with Dave, DO NOT pay for ranking, it is a waste. As Dave mentioned, I am at the top of most search engines using a variety of search terms, and I didn't pay a cent. The number of sites linking to yours does affect your ranking. To find out how many links there are on the internet pointing to your web site, go here. I was shocked at how many links there are out there to my sites....

Just type in a URL and it will show you...

8. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

<STRIKE>Another way to check the number of pages linking to you is to go to google.com and in the search box, type link:http://plowsite.com replacing plowsite.com with the site or site/pagename with one of your choice.

I have the Google toolbar installed in my browser so when on any page, I can just click "Page info" then "backward links"
    It does the same thing as the above method but no typing involved. </STRIKE>

Wow, Chuck, I just used that link you gave. What a difference. As a comparison, I entered your site and one of my sites, www.michiganwideweb.com. Far more than I thought. It looks like Alltheweb does a more extensive search.

Thanks for the link. :drinkup:
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2002