1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by solar, Oct 23, 2006.

Do you (or your Co.) have a website?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
  2. No

14 vote(s)
  3. Had One

1 vote(s)
  4. Getting One

8 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

How many people have websites for their services? How has the feedback been?

Please share URL’s when possible, I’d love to learn from examples.

2. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

my web site

It's not the best, and needs works. But has worked well for me so far.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Its not bad :rolleyes: I like it :drinkup:
  4. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

my friend made mine for me.. its in my signature
  5. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

6. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

7. If you guys are trying to bring in new business with your web sites. Something that is overlooked a lot on a website is search engine placement. You can have the nicest site, but if no one can find it in a search engine your site will be lost in cyber space. And I do not mean by typing in your domain name in the search engine. If you type your city, and state and snow removal into a search engine does your site come up?

In a search engine type: Incline Village Nevada Snow Removal. Tahoe Workz should be in the top ten listings.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  8. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

My excavating web site is down now , but my hobby web site is up. www.DUGBIKE.com
  9. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

I agree, but why are you using images (rather than searchable test) on your website then?
  10. site

Solar I do not use my site, www.proworkz.com for business. What I mean is I have more business than I need from word of mouth. I turn down business on a daily basis. I would not be able to handle new business generated by my site if I properly indexed www.proworkz.com in search engines.

I only have my site up incase someone trys to look it up by the domain name (www.proworkz.com) I mainly needed a domain name for email purposes.

As for pictures instead of text.......There is hidden text on my index page that would come up if I was to submit my site to search engines. Regardless of what people say about site text needing to be visible for search engines to find the page. That is not true. Meta Tags and key words are placed in the HTML of the site. Not on the visual part of the page.

The Tahoe Workz site is not mine. I just used it as an example.

Another example. I recently sold a company called Moto Mafia.com. The company built freestyle ramps for moto and sleds. I am no longer associated with the company. But if you take a look at this search result the site is on the first page....

The site is not maintaned by the new owers. But it is www.motomafia.com

I can get anyone site on the top page of most if not all search engines.

What are meta tags? They are information inserted into the "head" area of your web pages. Meta tags do not allone gaurentee search engine placement. But they are the start of solid web page that will be picked up by the search engine spiders.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  11. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

Turning down biz - nice! (raise the rates!) payup

Just FYI- Google takes "hidden text" into account. The compare the font color to the bg color. Understandable, so everyone with "britney spears paris hiltion" written in white on a white BG won't get unrelated hits.
  12. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

I applaud your confidence, but neither of those sites are using metatags.
  13. Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  14. And solar please read slowly. Moto Mafia is not my site. But is still in the search engines with no Meta Tags. How is this possible??
  15. And again.... please read slowly. Hidden in the HTLM. Not on the page.... Keep searching the net for your answers. You will figure it out soon enough.

Or maybe we should have a build off. You build a site, and I will build a site. And let the masses decide.?

If anyone needs help, just hit me up with a PM. I'm out.....!!!:D
  16. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

Ok, not quite sure what happened... I get back from a meeting and all this nonsense ending with a web duel. (Shall we say high noon? :jester: )

To get back on topic... what successes have people had with landscaping websites?
  17. sorry

Sorry for the nonsense Solar and other guys. I had way to much coffee today...:dizzy:

Back to the topic...

18. dmc337

dmc337 Junior Member

Look in my signature....we update the snow page after each snowfall whether we plow or not...that way customers know exactly what was done and when.
  19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think that websites go and get you a ton of business. I think the thing that they help with the most is for people to feel more comfortable with you once they have met you or have heard of you. At least that's my experience with them.

20. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

mostly used to reassure potential clients, or existing clients wanting to show their friends and family what I have done for them. when my kids get older and I can take on more biz I will then heavily promote the site for ranking searches.

I always list my site in my paper advertisements. Personally I think they are an asset.