1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Apr 14, 2002.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm posting a link to a website that was designed by DaveK and the text is by myself. I'm interested in what you think about the site in general and the text in particular (this is my first website so I know that this is a learning experience) since I wrote most of it ;). Any suggestions are welcome.

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I like it.
    Simple... to the point.... nice pics.

Thanks John, your post reminded me I need to post a link to SIMA !
  4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Yea its nice but it seems you forgot an important thing. The question/comment link for your e-mail.(the webmaster) I design some sites myself. Did u use a page builder or like html?
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks nice. Only things I can point out are "nitpicky" - typos:

On the main page, "buisness" appears twice, should be spelled "business".

On the Clients page, second caption (for the hospital) looks like the word "Daveta" got missed as that caption starts with "Associates has serviced.......", also the apostrophe isn't needed in "require's".

"Requires" in the third caption is mis-spelled and again the apostrophe isn't needed.

As I said, minor "nitpicky" typos (which you may have already caught and corrected) :)

I like the way you can click on the small image to get a larger view of the properties and your equipment in action. Any plans on posting a few more pics, to show an example of each service you provide? (Salting, bobcat, snowblower etc)

Oh yes - gotta have that SIMA link! ;)

Rob thanks for the grammar lesson :)o) your better than spell check ;) . I do intend to post more photos of equipment but it is difficult since most of our stuff is sub-contracted and I didn't get much of a chance to shoot photos this past winter (20% of normal snowfall :mad: ) so that will have to wait till fall.

BTW, this is still not a posted website, just a sample.
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I can relate to the photo situation - although we did have snow (about 60% of what fell last winter) the vast majority of the plowing I did was at night and when you're working by yourself it's rather difficult to take of the picture of the equipment "in action".................

Besides, things like that can always be added when you do have good photos to place on your site.

The "keep it simple" approach to the layout is good - makes for a nice clean web page.
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD looks good . how long did it take to design?
  9. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

One link to SIMA coming up.:)

NNJSnow, no not a page builder. Just a basic HTML editor that cuts down on actually typing the code, but not a "visual" editor.

75, I was caught a little off guard. :) I hadn't spell checked or proofread yet. That is one of the final steps before "going live." (maybe that should happen earlier?) :)
    JD Plower did send an email ahead of time to let me know that he was posting it for critisism, but I just read it. :eek:

Cat320, a total of about 10-15 hours of actual work. It was started a couple weeks ago, when JD Plower was still a little busy. So I would do some work, then post it for him to review, then make changes.... Actually it worked out good that way since it gave me time to work at my own pace and try out some of my new design ideas.
  10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Looks pretty nice,

I do have an observation. It may be a problem with my browser, but it looks like there may be a "bug". I am looking at the opening page, if I click the top left button ("Our Services", I think it says) the center portion of the screen changes and the text appears in a black background area in the middle of the page. Below that though is some of the text and half an image left over from the first page. Like I said, it may be my browser, but I tried is it several times and got the same result each time.

Other than that, it looks great,
  11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

That was a good observation Rob.

It doesn't "go" to a second page. The services and clients pages appear "above" the main page. This allows the other "pages" to be shown instantly.

I noticed that also. There will probably be more text and/or pictures on that page in the future. Till then, I changed the length a bit to cover the main page.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2002

Dave sorry I should have spell checked this thing before I "went LIVE" :rolleyes:

btw I was browsing a website and I noticed their sima link, can you use this type of link? I think it would work really well with the background you picked.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Not to worry.... it isn't totally live yet. And the only ones to see it are plowsite members, and we all know that they can't spell.:D
  14. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

WE CAN TWO!! ;)

BTW, Nice looking site....
  15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Good one, Digger!

Dave, the pictures in the Christmas section and one of the Aquatics won't blow up for me. Other than that, nice job!
  16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

pelican01, that's good to hear. :) Now take a look at JD Plower's site. :) The link is in the very first post.
  17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Sorry, the sun was beating on my head all day!:D Got it figger'd out now...

You already mentioned you want more action shots, that's all I'd add.