1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Website... Y/N?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by benz2329, Jan 25, 2010.

1. benz2329

benz2329 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have been in business for almost 5 years doing both landscaping and snow plowing. I am finally considering making a website for my company, but I never really understood how. Any ideas on where I should start? What is it going to run me to host it? Should I pay someone design it? AND MOST IMPORTANT does it attract customers?? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. procut

procut Senior Member

I say go for it. You con probably find a web designer who can build a simple site for $150.00 and then maybe $40.00 upkeep/hosting per year.

3. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

are you a real business that wants to grow or do you just want to get your name on the web?

I get a LOT of new business off the web (easily more than half) and lots more where people call me and say "i was looking at your website..............."

Pay a designer/marketing guy.

it's a one time shot, you pay maybe a hundred or so a year to update it and it looks PROFESSIONAL.

I paid about $1500 for mine about 3 years ago, it was totally worth it.

it all matches and it fits with our marketing plan. It's just another part of the plan.

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

6. Yahoo! Business can get your domain, hosting and your site up and running within 30minutes.

I did one for a friend who plows. Simple, one page site for contact information...

www.theplowguys.com

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

lonecowboy is no dummy, money well spent. don't go cheesy free, it makes your company look poor/quality. some simple research of local people to do your site will get you going. I say local because this way you can call the business and ask if xyz web company did indeed do the site. have pictures of your stuff ready to go and list the things you would like to see on your site/ what you liked about others.

8. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

agreed that free is always cheesy :nod:

you want a website that looks professional and makes someone want to hire you. not a poorly designed site like a 12 year old would make.

here's mine:
    www.waynesnow.com

9. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

If you have even the most basic computer skills you can do it yourself if you want to keep a tight budget and don't need anything too fancy. I made my own at www.doteasy.com and it was pretty simple to create once I got the hang of it. Very easy to log on and update it too. I can't remember exact price but its less than $50 a year which is mostly for your domain name - i think the hosting is free or real cheap. The storage space is limited but is a decent amount and you can add more for not much money. Worth taking a look unless you want to spend more for something professional. I would definately look into one though - in this day it's your best bet. I know I for one don't go to the yellow pages or local paper for anything anymore. If I am looking for info or contacts for anything it's straight to the computer I go.

10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I'm in process of building my site right now www.fast-machines.com

One thing I would tell you to do is if you get a domain buy it your self, if you let someone else buy it for you they might put it in there name and then if the get pissed off at you they can take your site down on you.
    Or even worst they can make it sound like your going out of business. I had to clean up a few problems like this recently.

If you need any info I think we can help

11. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I would do a email form having there email address in plain text is a good way to get a lot of spam.

I also follow my logs to see if I'm getting hits and how long there on the site and what page they exit on. It all helps to build a better site :nod:

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Great advice.
    We get the google analytics ever month. Tracks everthig from hits, to time spent , to pages read, map overlay, etc. Great tool

13. backupbuddy

backupbuddy Senior Member

We get the google analytics ever month. Tracks everthig from hits, to time spent , to pages read, map overlay, etc. Great tool

I'm with you Neige! Its amazing how much info you get out of it and its free.