1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Website Design

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by LawnProLandscapes, Nov 18, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

looking to put together my own website, and just wondering what site you guys used to do it if you did it yourself? im looking at web.com right now

heres a list of there perks:
    FREE 1 Year Domain Name
    DIY SiteBuilder Tool
    30 Webmail Accounts
    Web Analytics- no idea what this is
    PayPal "Buy Now" Buttons
    $25 Google Adwords Credit- not sure what this is
    $25 Yahoo! Search Credit- not sure what this is
    20 GB Bandwidth (transfer)- no clue
    300 MB Webmail Storage- email storage? is this a good amount?
    24/7 Customer Support
    No Contract!
    No Set-up Fee!

as you can tell im not that great with computer terminology but am capable of doing this and have a good friend who is graduating from a graphic design program and is helping me in some areas. let me know what you all think.
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

you can host free the first yr on microsoft live, I started there. I have 2 sites and am building more, I host them through godaddy. I didnt shop around on price much, I am sure there are other cheaper places then godaddy, but I like that with godaddy I can host more than one site under the same hosting account, as long as I stay under the bandwidth restrictions.

I'm not sure how the pricing you found at web.com compares, but you should check out godaddy.com , and officelive.com to get a feel for the other options.
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

thanks image, i decided to go with microsoft live, got a very little done on it tonight, im going to browse other sites and get ideas on how they are setup. hopefully itll be up after thanksgiving.
  4. Prior to starting my Driveway/Plowing business I owned a webhosting and design company for eight years. I sold it to an American firm and used that money to start my present company. No regrets at all let me tell you...

Now, as far as your site goes let me just say that it is not something to cheap out on. If you need to hire a designer than do it. If it costs you $500 to $1000 believe me that money can be made back very quickly with a properly designed website.

I'll give you an example. My site (in my signature) generated most of my business this summer. People would search "Driveway Sealing Aurora" on google.ca for example and I was right there at the top. Grant it, it cost me nothing to design my site because I did it myself but this past summer my site made me well over $100,000 in business. Even if it cost me $5000 to build the dang thing how could I complain about that with those figures...

We kept our trucks running every day it didn't rain (Our business depends on weather) and only two days in the entire month did we need to go knock on doors to drum up business.

Trust me, do it the right way my friend...
  5. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

I agree with DrivewayDoctor, do not cheap out on your site. This is money well spent.
    It by far is the best thing I EVER did for my business.
    Yellow Pages and Local Phone Books are now close to useless. I spent $4000.00 on my site (3) years ago. My designer continually makes adjustments so I will come up on the first page of AOL,MSN, GOOGLE etc..
    This season alone since October 1, 2008 we have submitted (67) snow proposals for Comm., sites, Condos, and businesses.
    You don't have to spend $4000.00 but with a website you get what you pay for. You can have a website and web address, but how do people find your site? THEY SEARCH!
    Below is a link to the company I used.

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I built my own, and do my own Search Engine Optimization. How much are you willing to spend LawnPro?? Perhaps I can help you out. No matter what you do on your own, with some free software, or whatever it is, it will not look professional.
  7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I had my gf design my logo, and give me a basic look for my site (she's a graphic designer). Then I coded the site, and host it along with others on my own server. Good times, haha.
  8. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Yeah ok...sure...Gicon hired someone, don't let him fool you. With free software and a little time you can have an awesome looking and extremely functional site. Look into free CMS's like Mambo or Joomla and build a robust site with minimal knowledge. I've built several sites based on Mambo and manage others, and they all bring in BIG $$$ without spending Big $$$ on custom work.
  9. Why isn't anyone posting the link to their plowing sites here?
  10. BGehl

BGehl Member

here's mine: http://www.gehlhomeservices.com/

My wife is a programmer and made it for me. I am sure she would be willing to make something similar for a very good price, if anyone would be interested.
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Well ... This was pointed out to me by another member and made sense. The search engines crawl this site a lot. Your url is eventually linked to your screen name, your screen name to your posts. Now I know more about you than you may care. For instances I may learn your pricing structure, if you act differently than when your standing in front of me doing business, if your playing shopping cart jousting while plowing in my lot.

On the original topic ... Lunarpages.com fantastic value, tools and tech support.
  13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Same reason I haven't posted mine. :D
  14. I'm as up front as it gets in this business. I tell people the truth and not just what they want to hear. Most of my clients appreciate my honesty and hire me partly for that reason.

I also never compete with anyone in my area. If my prices are higher then they are higher. I tell customers I'm not wal-mart, I don't price match. If they want quality they will have to pay for quality. If the client doesn't want to pay my rates I even offer phone numbers of guys that are cheaper although reliability has been an issue with the cheaper companies last year.