1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Website critique please......

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Mick76, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I'm having my website created and want some feed back...... what do you think? like it? hate it? should I add or delete something...... The site creator hasn't added any real content yet (and misspelled some that he put in there for the testing phase) but I'm looking for feedback on the overall layout.... easy to navigate? How do you like the home page with the revolving pictures up top? too slow? too fast? just right? Any other ideas you add if it were your site? Any and all input is welcome.

http://www.affordableplowingservices.com/

Thanks
    Mike

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

IMO, you should have waited to release the site until it was a little more finished. There is a lot of sample text that has no meaning. Its hard for me to visual the end product.

As far as the format, seems fine. I like the revolving pics showing equipment. Some basic info on the services you provide and a brief history of your company is vital to include. Correct spelling is vital to look professional.

I know, its a work in progress. Looking foward to seeing a more finished site.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

email tested !!!!!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

While the animation with the photos is cool, it shouldn't be the focal point of the site IMO. You're selling a snow removal service, not snow removal equipment. Trim them down, put them off to the side. That way when I first go to your site I can read some of the "about us" stuff without having to scroll down.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I thought about waiting but it would be easier to change/tweak things now rather then later...In terms of the revolving pics too big, too slow, too fast, Just fine?...thats the focal point on the first page and I want to make sure that i get it right (not bore people because it takes too long for another pic to show up)

LOL..... I think you sent that email to The Land Down Under!.... Mines not working yet but thanks for trying!

I thought about doing that but it looked like every other site I've looked at... I wanted to be different and stand out from the others..... There will be alot of good content on the opening page

Keep em coming..... don't worry I've got thick skin, so if you really don't like something let me know! Or if you really like something let me know also....

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I agree. I want to see what you have for equip cause it shows me you dont just have a shovel. but on the 1st screen I want to see. who what where when why

eg
    ABC PLOWING
    123-8976
    15 YEARS IN BUSINESS
    FREE ESTIMATES
    NO GIMMICKS SALT SAND COMMERCIAL RESIDENTAIL
    24 HOURS LOCALLY SERVICE THE TOWN OF SPRINGFIELD

The design and layout look clean. It loads quick too. have you tried it in something other then InternetExplorer? just to see?

Thumbs Up

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

as a plow guy, I like it, you have nice equipment and I like to see it. But as a customer, I want information. How long you been in business? What services do you provide? Do you do anything else but plow and salt? Can I use you in the summer for maintenance...like a one stop shop for my property? Just some things to think about. If they care about what equipment you have, they'll look through the site to see it, but I'd hit them in the face with why you're the only one in their area they should hire. But, its a nice site, and those are some sharp looking trucks.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What's all that other stuff on your site?

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

All that "information" will be be on the front page..... just havn't got it there yet

Its extra stuff from the template the guy is using... its getting more and more cleaned up (erased) as we tweak this and that. By the end of next week (going on vaca this week) I should have a fully functioning site with all the content in place

For those of you that have websites.... do you link them to your companies facebook page? and how is that working for you?

10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Grandview..... I just looked at your site... how does your online couponing work for you? I thought about adding something like this to the site.....

11. grandview

Nothing to talk about. But I do keep it in the back of my mine when doing estimates,just in case.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I try using them and he said I was out of his service area.....wtf.....Chicago is right across the lake

13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Nice site I like the layout I like the pictures it shows that you are professional. I would say upgrade the logo it doesn't look as professional the rest of the site. I have the same problem with my website I did the logo and it's quite an amateur job. Let's see some testimonials. I hate to critique too much as these are all things I need to do to my website as well.
    Pete

14. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would not list my customers. If I was in your area, I would be going after them.

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

lettuceman
    thanks for the reply.... thing is they're commercial accounts.... everybody bids on everything every year....... Thats why I insist on multi year deals..... the good thing about my company is we've been around for awhile and have a good reputation in our area... even if a place of ours decides to "accept bids" , 99% they always come back to us... even if we're higher (and in some instances we've been over double what other people have bid ), they still choose us because of the quality work we do ... so i say let them bid......

btw i'm still tweaking some areas of the site so its not a completed site as of yet but thanks for the input!

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

ok guys... had sometime today to work on the site.... pohouse, how's it look now ? old dog, can you try and email me though the "contact us" section now? jtv & midtown what are your thoughts now with the content in place? I think i'm still going to tweak a few things like playing with a few picture placements...... anyone else got something to add? come on now its now like plowsite is really busy...what else do you have to do?....lol

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

OK..... Now I Agree With You

18. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

What do you guys think of the updated site as it stands now? I think a few of you have tried to contact me via my contact form but i never received the email... im going to have my guy fix this and would like for you to try again..... any more thoughts?

19. grandview

Can you bump up your visitor count to make it look better?

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I know he just put that thing on there but i'm sure he can tweak it......