1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WebCams for site checks???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering if anyone has ever placed a web camera of some sort on a commercial site so that you could see what the site looks like from a mobile device like a laptop or blackberry? In theory seems like a pretty cool idea especially f the account was an hour/ hour and a half away, definitely wouldnt want to go all the way out there to check...Come to find out that its still clear or vise versa!

2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

in ohio, the state put up web cams on the highway.. www.buckeye traffic.org i have used them from time to time .. esp when lake effect is happening

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I thought about these a long time ago,but the problem is cost. A good costs a lot then you need to have an isp for it. Most places won't let you hook into their place for security and liability reasons.

4. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

We have exterior security cameras at work that I can view from my laptop from anywhere. I live 15 min. from work and all of my acounts are by work so I use it alot to see how much snow we are getting. Wish I had more locations with cameras.

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Who in the Detroit area would drive an hour and half to a job site?

That could be expanded a little. Does anyone drive that far? That's nuts

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

An Hour and a Half from Detoilet....Thats almost to Grand Rapids.....:eek:

7. Plow man Foster

Would you mind posting or PM'ing me the name of it? I assume they plug into your internet system at work right?

We got a couple leads on a few accounts from a workers family member...and it will pay PRETTY well if we can land them... which shouldnt be hard! But its like 45 mins away from the shop. The pay makes it worth it though! Also its only like 20-25 mins from the 3 workers who will be primarily working on these sites. So a Onsite camera would be nice for the protection of the equipment we will be leaving plus it would be a nice little weather snow cam!

8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Well I could see this being used also for people doing any kind of lot with dedicated equipment there. You could get a storage container to leave there, a cheapa$$ laptop, and then get one of the WiFi things from Verizon/Sprint or whoever. Hook it to a camera (webscam) mounted to the top of the container and your good.

This idea is really good for those who have a big commercial lot to do with no nearby (or close enough) buildings. Plus you could put extra equipment/materials in the storage container too.

9. dixiejwo

dixiejwo Junior Member

10. AuroraMSP

AuroraMSP Senior Member

11. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

12. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

13. Plow man Foster

Nice links guys!
    fernalddude that must be the rain that was supposed to come north and hit us.... Hope it stays south!
    We're still debating...

14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I use trafficland, you can pick up all the traffic cameras in the US. I wish stores wold let us monitor with their cameras but yet to have it happen. I was at the SIMA show a couple years ago, there was a contractor out of western Canada that had portable setups, didn't give any info about them though, just kept saying propitory blah, blah. I have never seen so many people walk out on a education session it the middle of a session, probably half the class it seem all she was trying to do was say look what we have, ha, ha, ha, big disappointment of a session.

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

Those are the accounts that you need to have an employee close too to inform you of the conditions.....i use weather underground ....there are 5 weather stations within 1/2 mile of our lots in one area....oh! and i'm the hired hand thats calls the boss to pull the trigger :gunsfiring: