1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weather websites?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Oct 25, 2004.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

For all of those who use websites for weather tracking, please give your opinions on the best and the worst.

I live in the northern Detroit suburbs, and as you all know, the news channels compete for your viewing, and will predict "27 feet of snow" if the competing channel quotes 24!! I'm tired of the news for my weather. They always make the numbers bigger and bigger....and we end up with a dusting.

Anyways....looking for local weather forcasting which is fairly accurate (I know its not common) and where I can use a live radar to predict when the storm will start and stop..

Okay, give me all your opinions

Thanks!

2. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

WeatherBug

Been using it for about three years. Seems to be pretty accurate and has live radar. You can get local, regional and national outlooks.

4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Weatherbug too.

I get a kick out our local news in the Boston area. They have these great graphics and intimidating adds in the beginning of each winter "Winter White Out 2003..." They over dramatize everything. They can turn a fart into a complete disaster!

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

6. Flask

Flask Junior Member

intellicast.com

7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i also use weather bug and find it to be accurate

9. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

thanks

Many thanks for the responses. I'll look into the sites you suggested.

10. rick17

rick17 Junior Member
    from MN

I find that http://www.crh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts is the best, it is what the local forcasters base their forecast off of. It is updated much faster than our local weather stations, and is the "official" record of how much snow has fallen.

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I agree with Young Pup and www.weathertap.com

Somewhere around $70.00 a year to get all kinds of useful weather info, for instance 4 minute old radar images unlike other web sites that could be up to 20 minutes old!

Just my .02¢
    Rick

12. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Thanks Boss. I was going to start up a thread asking everybody who/what that website was. I had it on my favorites last year and then the computer took a crap. I think John Dee is very accurate, at least every time I used it.

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

He was pretty accurate last year.