1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather station for pick-up truck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DugHD, Dec 29, 2011.

1. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Anyone know of a good onboard weather station for inside a pick up? Would like a small screen with , time, date, outside temp, alarm clock , weather forecast , etc. Maybe there isnt such a thing? Thanks ,doug
  2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

weather app on phone works great
  3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I do have the weather channel on my phone , but the actual outside temperature is always off from what it really is.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Depending on the geographic location and how close together your accounts are, there could be temperature differences between each account, so a phone app weather service (or several of them to get multiple readings) may not be too far off of the general temps in the area. Unless you are looking for a true actual temp at each account then the phone seems like the winner.
  5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yea a phone with a weather app(I use weather bug) and leave the nav setting on so it cant track your location should do the trick
  6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Weatherbug ap with radar and the whole works
  7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Grab a temp gun and just point it out the window. You can always point it at the ground to get real ground temps for better salting.

I have a temp gauge in my truck but it is also not that accurate. This just seems to work best if I remember to use it.
  8. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I agree with the infrared thermometer, I have one in each truck that salts.

9. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Im the one of the Head guys so In my truck i have a Ipad connected to the internet through my phone.
    I keep radar up, also Check/ send reports to plowsite for updates on the weather in my area. I too use a Inferred gun for ground temps. Out of my 5+ weather apps the temp is pretty accurate. You just gotta remember as long as your reading is in the ballpark you will be fine.

Here are some pics of what the apps look like on the Apple Ipad. BEST work-ish gift i have ever received.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  10. luciani634

luciani634 Member

What apps are you useding. I have accuweather and weather channel
  11. Plow man Foster

Accu weather, Weather Bug, Weather channel, Couple Local news station apps (channel 7 First Alert), and eradar hd- US.

Just figured out how to make folders for different apps! Now my screen isnt so cluttered! Finally have 1 Folder for all of my Work/weather apps

Shown in pic above eradar HD US. & Weather bug
  12. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Try "Radarscope" for your iphone or ipad
  13. AMS77

AMS77 Senior Member
    from 43964

Are you using your i phone to get internet to your i pad? And if so how are you doing it.
  14. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

i just use the....window
  15. Plow man Foster

I actually have a HTC EVO though sprint. Its an extra 10 bucks a month for the hot spot feature i believe...

If you have an Iphone depending on what model it might have to be jail broken before you can tether (send the wifi signal) to your Ipad.

Youtube has MANY videos that can walk you though the steps!
    like this one. Which claims you dont have to jailbreak it.
  16. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the info. I do have a temperature gun I will bring that with me from now on. I am only plowing one account . I have the weather channel on my phone. I have a Casio Commando phone. The weather channel has great maps , but there current temps are completely wrong 90% of the time. I want the exact temp that it is, every time I look at the screen.
    I just want to be ontop of the icing as soon as possible.
    There is wifi here so the lap top is always on too. Thanks again for all your help. doug
  17. AMS77

AMS77 Senior Member
    from 43964

Ok thanks plow man. Ill check out that link.
  18. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I use an iPad and iPhone. The iPad can change your business if utilized properly.
  19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Best app ever. If you know how to use it!
  20. Plow man Foster

Right! i use ZOHO for estimates which turn into invoices! And much more! payup