1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Services/Looking out the window

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve@moon, Aug 22, 2007.

1. steve@moon

steve@moon Junior Member

Anyone out there use a commercial weather service to provide you with alerts/alarms for getting you out and going?

Or does everyone still do it the old fashioned way (get out of bed every 2 hours every night to look out the window for the entire season)? What services are available?

We are in the same town as AccuWeather's world headquarters and still they fail to give accurate forecasts to the area!

Any creative ideas on this?
  2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

i use the accuweather desktop alerts. Not so much for the alerts, but more for the Doppler radar. I use the radar in conjunction with my window.
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

ditto. same here. big fan of walking out on the porch and looking at the radar.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I use Weather Command, my radar and my window.

It wouldn't be nearly so cold if you took your computer inside to look at your radar. Better for the computer to be out of the weather too. xysport
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

to better answer your question. i think if i had money to blow, a big business, and snow removal/ice was the primary objective i might spend the bucks for a professional weather service since it could justify itself in limiting how much im paying a crew to sit there and wait for snow and keeping clients happy with the service i provide (if it was accurate). .
    i myself dont see utilizing a weather service as a consideration in my situation.If all signs are for snow/freezing rain/ice I go out onto my ENCLOSED glass porch to observe on and off and glance at the radar on a laptop.sometimes taking a walk out to the street and giving the tar a couple kicks while i smoke a cigarette.
    if im wrong, the weather persons wrong, the weather station, local station are wrong, radar is wrong, then i guess oh well i slept while it snowed a half inch, iced a little and we were all wrong. tomorrow is another day. ill sleep like a baby anyway. any major accumalation or icing i think the local weather would be hard pressed to miss and im not concerned over half a inch of snow that they might miss.
    another thing i look for is town plows sanding/or running around. listen to a scanner. they probably use a professional weather service, the police also call them on when they come acrossed icy roads patroling. you plow. the gas company makes money, the automaker makes money, insurance company makes money, the tire manufaturer, plow manufacturer, plow dealer, etc. etc. i dont need someone else to make money off my work.
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to be a Professional get used to checking yourself or paying an employee to check periodically threw the nite. We handle some northern accounts for a larger landscape contractor that spends over 5K a season for all the big "personalized" weather reports, not accuweather pro. I get updates from them based on these reports. These weather companies send out faxes or phone the reports, most are okay. Nothing to bet your accounts on though.They all have dropped the ball more then once. I usually personally check the weather report, and radar before be going to bed and base my wake up alarms on the probability of accumulation. If you have
    2" triggers you can be a little less diligent, zero tolerance means just that, and you have to be ready to roll at the drop of a hat. We handle some 24/7 stuff that needs salt when the flakes fly, we also pre-treat if we have daytime snow coming so again you need to be the judge.
    Its pretty tuff for accuweather or a local news meteorologist to give you a localized forecast, ours comes from Chicago about 40 miles away. They can predict the weather but most are not real good at it.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707