1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Service

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by hawks13, Dec 18, 2005.

1. hawks13

hawks13 Junior Member
    from Chicago

This is our first year in business and wanted to find out a good internet site where it shows the past weather, for the previous storm. We would like this incase someone calls or questions us on the snowfall. Does anyone send this information with their invoice? Is there any good free or pay sites that anyone uses to get this type of information.
    Thanks,

2. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

We use Accuweather, Weather works, and DTN:)

3. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Accuweather

I was quoted a price of $1300 per year from Accuweather. Seemed a liitle steep if you ask me.

Is this pricing in line with what you pay?

4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I use the free accuweather. And I measure my snowfalls with a ruler, im not going to pay for someone else to tell me how much snowed. If customers question it, oh well, they will get over it.

5. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

One of our contracts require we use a Neutral reporting compnay for the snow totals, so unfortunately we are stuck, bu it comes in handy. there is no arguing or nothing, what they say goes.

As for Accuweather, that sounds about in line. If you think about it though if you do a crap load of snow work, accuweather is worth it. the reports they give, alerts, etc work out great. that way you know somewhat what is going to happen. they nailed the Dec 9th storm we had right on the head which is awesome. I have not exploreded all of accuweather yet,,ut I'll give you some feedback as the season goes on. We signed up for all three but plan on using only 2 Even 1 next year. We figured we would give them all a fair shake.

Mike

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

National Weather Service.

The one here for Minneapolis, after a snowfall, usually has a breakdown of the area as to who got what amounts of snow.

I still don't know why people pay for a weather service.

7. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Because the NWS service around here sucks and the Weather Channel is right about 20% of the time around here. That and the fact that if they can be accurate 80% of the time and I dont have to waste my time watching radar, etc etc. then the expense is well worth it.

Its not for everyone, but some customers are demanding and you dont want to fall on your face whenyou have 500 employees streaming into an office buidling in high heels and dress shoes and radar/NWS says no snow and you get a dusting. I can't go to a customer and say well sorry NWS serviceor the Weather channel said it wasn't going to accumulate.

8. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

" I dont have to waste my time watching radar"

A local guy has radar access through his cell phone. Calls when he wants and gets the current images on the phone. I would think that the accuweather would be worth it for the pro who makes a living pushing snow. For the rest of us hobby plowers, I find checking the radar/forecasts a couple of times a day at work is sufficient.

9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

weather reporting stations

There are so few weather reporting stations in NE Ohio that coupled with lake effect snow you can't get an accurate number for snow that has fallen. I have had a dusting of snow and east of me 15 miles have 6 inches. There is one airport that is between us that would report snow depth and it would have not given a dusting or 6 inches in its report.

When a customer requests a "3rd party" to prove there was enough snow to plow the lot they must have been robbed by a previous snow plow contractor or thought they got cheated. We had one company in our area be so "aggressive" in there snow removal that the next year the company wanted 3rd party snow depth, picture before, picture after with date stamp, card put in door with what services were done and so on.

I think a customer that demands this in his billing would be hard to work for. This generates more unnecessary paper work for the office.

Dave

10. me1223

me1223 Member

doesn't the government have local totals for you on one of their websites, I know here we can get accurate snowfall amounts about 5days after an event from several sites within the city, and this goes back to 1970 sometime so if you want to check what the average snow fall for an area is you just go on and look it up.

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I have several comm. costumers that want a third party snow amount. These accounts are all per inch and 1 inch could cost them 500-1000. The NWS free sites have always been OK.

12. ynvvbr

ynvvbr Member

Thats exactly right. Our scale changes every inch on some every 2 inches on others and every 4 inches on some Satelitte areas. So the difference per 2 inches in some cases is $1,500 per acct. We would rather be accurate and fair. Sometimes we win some we lose, but in my eyes that is fair to them and us.