1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather reports

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Where do any of you get the weather forecast from besides your local TV? I use "the weather channel.com" they seem to be on the ball especially last season.
  2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I ask my wife. Her uncle was a weather expert with the National Weather Service until retirement and she learned a lot from him. She's better at predicting weather than the local tv stations. When she's not around, I access at least two local tv stations via internet to see their weather, radar, satellite images, etc. and make my own decision.

SNOWBIZ Junior Member

I have a laptop in the truck with wireless internet access. That way I can check the most current radar, and forecasts. You can go to http://www.noaa.gov they usually update forecasts/warnings etc...every few hours. Plus my brother is a forecaster on the radio here locally, and he plows for me. T.V. forecasters in this area couldn't forecast they're way out of a wet paper bag.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

www.noaa.gov here too.

They change the forecast every hour when there's a storm. Other than that, it's just as good to stick your head out the window.

The only problem with watching tv / listening to the radio, is that those signals cover such a wide area. It's hard to get an exact forecast for the 10 mile radius that I plow in.

I have Verizon for cell phone service as well, and I've downloaded "My Cast" to it. This way I have weather forecasts and radar right on my cell phone.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The Weather Channels forecast is word for word from the National Weather Services Forecast. Both on the TV and the inter-net. Just check all three and you will notice the same phrases like "Random sprinkles" Followed by "Broken clouds" Etc. It's the same paragraph. from the weather service! When you watch the Weather Channel on satellite TV they run random radar and such while local on the 8's is running on cable. The local cable supplier puts in the forecast for the area in the time slot for local on the 8's..
  6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

weather stations

There are not very many weather reporting stations in our state. I have had 6 inches different snow depth in 15 miles. This lake effect snow is hard to predict.

With all the Internet weather sites, local tv-radio and airport reporting stations we have found that they only way to see if there is enough snow to plow or salt is to go look. One time I didn't go look at a lot and they had a squall put down 2.5 inches. No one around them got the 2+ inches. This customer was mad that I didn't get there to plow the snow before business opened. Half a mile away was not enough snow to plow.

Weather reporting stations are at airports. Guess if you plow the airport the reporting station is a good thing. If you plow more than airports with reporting stations better go look.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

SkyKing you are right about that.
    I work under the Y - Bridge in Downtown Akron.
    I would be getting off the night shift and the contractor I plow for would call and say do the North Condo's. They are north of Portage Trail in Cuy. Falls.
    We had maybe an inch in Akron and 4+ in Cuy Falls. Springfield would have wet pavement and West Akron would have 4+ inches. Gotta love lake effect and Ohio weather in general!