1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Radar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MWM, Jan 20, 2005.

1. MWM

MWM Junior Member

Who here uses Meteorlogix radar for snow forecasts. I signed up for a week of free service today to see what I think but wanted to check with the masses. I had DTN a few years ago but found that the free sites on the web were just as good at forecasting. What catches my eye now is that you can get cell phone notification about possible snow events 3 hours from it starting at different sites.
    We service a few sites that are 20 miles from my home. It sucks to have to drive there to see if service is needed. It also would be real nice to be able to sleep right up to the point it was necessary to call in crews instead of watching any time there is a chance of snow so I don't get caught with my pants down.
    Any body out there use this or any thing else that is of value?

2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I also got the 7 day trial and am sold on it. The last storm that went through the radar and hourly forecast worked. We have a big storming heading this way tommorow and I will really get to test out the system.

3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

All the radars are govt owned for the most part that you see on the web. The radars snow precipitation and do not show if it is hitting the ground. Virga precipitation, is precipitation that does not hit the ground it evaporates and goes back up to fall again some other place. Doppler radar will show returns of moisture that is not falling to the ground. In the winter time the reflectivity of frozen moisture is more than in summer time.

My view is with all the free sites on the web why pay for it. Also there are aviation sites on the web that you can get a METAR, which is an airport weather observation for free too. Remember the radar shows you the moisture is in the air how ever the observation show you it is on the ground. There are not enough automated or manned weather observation stations to show you what you are asking for. You might have to learn how to use the govt sites but that is where all the weather information is originating from. With being a pilot for over 24 yrs and snow plowing for over 32 yrs I have found that if the stone is covered with 2 inches of snow I had better be plowing. IF the stone is covered by less than 2 inches I need to salt. If the stone is not covered I do not need to plow or salt.

Dave

4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

You are paying for their analysis and forecast models which are often better than those of the Nasty Weather Service.

Meteorologix (formerly Kavorous) has a Cray supercomputer that grinds on all the available surface observations and radar data to produce info.

Surface Systems, from St. Louis, has a system that incorporates pavement temp, brine, and air temp into the radar data.

Depends where you are, how big you are, and how much money you have. Many of the web-based systems are pretty good.