1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Proofing

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jhall22guitar, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, first off I know this would not be recommended, but I have a VERY limited budget right now. I currently have 2 Mini Phantom MAX LED Dash Lights, and they are NOT made to be outside the vehicle.

Does anyone have tips or a way to make them "weatherproof" so that I could mount them outside the vehicle, as I may want to mount them inside a truck cap, and would like to be extra safe just in case.

Any tips are appreciated. Thumbs Up

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You could sell them and get 2 sound off ghosts that are weatherproof. The ghosts are about 75 to 90 bucks a piece. I honestly wouldn't know where to begin other than sealing all the joints with silicone and maybe placing clear plastic over the leds.

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I use this stuff here for my HID ballasts and stuff. MG Encapsulating Epoxy

If the lens comes off on that lights id throw a bead of silicone under it and put it back on. and use the epoxy to cover the led board.

4. jhall22guitar

I was thinking a wooden, plastic or metal box, then I would silicone or use a sealer to put a plexi-glass piece for the light to go out and sealing it to keep out the water?

5. Grassman09

By the time you add all that stuff up you could have bought a proper light. Could you sell those leds?

6. jhall22guitar

I could, but I have all the stuff laying around anyways. My dads a carpenter and we have s***loads of sealent and wood scrap to make the stuff out off, otherwise it will get thrown away or forgotten.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Don't throw them out, sell them and get a set of ghosts or linz6 or tir leds. They are worth more as is then configured to be weather proof when they aren't ment to be in the first place.

8. jhall22guitar

haha i wouldnt trow out the lights, i meant the scrap wood/metal and sealent since theres not enough for any real work use.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Haha, good. I was gonna say, don't waste them.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

"inside a truck cap"........not a problem for that light...no seal needed..

"outside the vehicle"...........FAIL...

that's as easy as i can put it.

11. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

The encapsulation process could affect the lights electronics and will definitely affect the heat dissipation which will cause the LEDs to fail. email me as I always have items we are looking to move off the shelfs. louis@strobesnmore.com

12. jhall22guitar

My only thought was better safe than sorry.

13. Grassman09

Wont effect with heat at all. I use the product on HID ballasts to weatherproof them. They get really hot. Haven't had one fail.

MG Chemicals 832B Black Epoxy Encapsulating and Potting Compound.

Protects sensitive electronic components from impact, shock, vibration, heat, conductivity, moisture, chemicals, and visual inspection.

Non-porous, water and chemical resistant
    Extremely impact resistant (contains a form of nylon)
    Colored black, to prevent visual inspection
    Affords high security, once cured, extremely difficult to remove
    Non-conductive, an electrical insulator
    Low toxicity
    Suitable for explosion proof components (spark arresting)
    Easy and simple to mix
    Long pot life
    Can be cured in one hour at 65°C (150°F)
    This product is RoHS compliant

14. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

HID lights work much differently than LEDS and are made to run at much higher temperatures. Heat is like Kryptonite to LEDs and anyone who claims anything different is 100% wrong. When designing LEDs we look at temperature first and foremost before output, design, etc... If we can't control the heat the lights will fail, guaranteed.
    I would caution you that before you possibly ruin your LEDs for good you call Star/SVP and they will tell you the same thing I did.

Like I said email me directly as I always have stuff that I can make a deal on. Louis@strobesnmore.com