1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather notification service

Discussion in 'Weather' started by CGG, Oct 27, 2009.

1. CGG

CGG Junior Member

How do you get notified if there is enough snow accumulation to plow?
    I have a plow for my own use to keep my store parking lot's cleared. I wondered if you have a service that texts you, or calls to let you know if there is a specifed amount of snow? Or do you do what I suspect, and just watch the forcast, and set the alarm to get up and check at 3 or 4 am?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

I use NOAA (National Oceanographic Atmospheric Admin.) Fairly accurate and interesting site. Get up before it stops snowing and get out. That's if I can even sleep because of the anticipation. Also the other drivers call each other, etc. Even some of the competition calls each other here.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo, meteorologists are too unreliable. And inaccurate.

Besides, waiting until there is enough to plow is too late, you have to be ahead of it.

But I do have a texting service just in case something pops up unexpectedly.

4. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I never rely on the weather people for arrival times for snow. They have been wrong way to many times. You, will be your best weather man

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

case in point, we were suppose to get a little rain today, woke up at 3am, no snow, woke up at 4:30am
    no snow, woke up at 6am, 1.5inches of snow, i hate life right now. lol, just shows how important it is to have disclaimers for times in your contracts

6. jphgreengrass

jphgreengrass Junior Member

what is the texting service??ussmileyflag

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

If its snowing I use local traffic cams...If there is snow accumulated on the highways..and major roads...I know it's time to go. If I gotta sleep... I will wake up every 75 min and check the internet cams.

My trucks sub mainly...But we don't get called out...just handle it.

8. Mark Oomkes

DTN WeatherSentry

9. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

What does that cost?

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I use my weather rock.

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

next time take a look at the radar... it might tell you whats coming in the next couple hours:nod:

12. Mark Oomkes

Depends on what options you subscribe to. Best off calling them, sorry I can't help more.

Their radar tool is awesome and well worth it for me, the text notification is a bonus as well

You need sleep. :nod: :laughing:

13. coral

coral Senior Member

that weather rock is most likely more accurate than the news, if the rock is white=its snowing.......