1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather man strikes again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yardworks, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I am on the east side of the twin cities. Snow was suppose to start last night with 6+ inches by the end of the day. Just started to see some flakes at about 8:30 A.M. but now they are saying maybe 1-3 inches. Any time a client asks about forecasts and why I started plowing when I did I say, "If I would schedule thing around forecast I would be out of business!" Good luck to any of you south of the Twin Cities, it looks like it has been snowing for 20 hours straight down there. I am crossing my fingers that we get a least one more plow-able event up here.

2. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

right on the snowline here. started about 7 am. sure glad i don't listen to weather men/women!

3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I hear ya...............I'm in Plymouth, MN and nothing so far. I have a feeling winter's pretty much over around here, another bust. I think I plowed 3-4 times this year...............hardly even worth it.

What a stroke of genius to have a career dependent on Minnesota weather.

Like I tell my customers when they ask why I plowed when I did..."If I could predict the weather, I sure as heck wouldn't be in this business".

Well, at least my equipment didn't get too worn out..........

Take care,

Joel B.

4. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

I'm about 30 miles or so north from any REAL snow....

I've received a few calls from my "nervous" residentials and I'll probably end up doing my route later this afternoon, if it hits my 1.5" trigger.

I'm about a mile north of the "infamous" 212 corridor they keep talking about. Close to an inch on the ground and snowing very light tiny flakes. It's picked up in the last hour so I'm still hopeful. The "guessers" are still saying snow fall in the 8"-15" range for my area( :rolleyes: ).... I'll believe that when/if I see it...

5. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

It is now 2:00 in the afternoon. We have a dusting with light snow. I am going out to do sidewalks and salt. I still haven't given up on a full plow. Chance of snow all night with heavier bands this afternoon. It sounds like they are really getting pounded south of here.

6. Plow-chic

Plow-chic Junior Member

Hey guys! I'm just north of Forest Lake. My hubby's down in the cities south of 694 plowing, while I look out the window at nothing but grey skies. My account is just south of Forest Lake so I'm hoping to get something there! :D Good luck to anyone down by Owatonna. They got some serious inches there. :eek: This winter has been my worst yet! The ground might as well just thaw out now so dirt-work can start up.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Plow-chic -

Are you around Wyoming / Stacy??

Um, if your account is in Hugo, you'll have about...... 1/16" of snow on the parking lot, I was just through there checking the two banks I do.

If you're farther south, say White Bear, you'll have MAYBE an inch.

I'm J & H Outdoor Services, stop me if you ever need any help.

8. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

The weatherman somewhat redeemed him/herself. We now have about 6 inches(what was predicted) it was just about 24 hours late, that's all. I am not going to complain. With the lack of snow this year, it is nice to get another full plow in.

9. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Round one is complete! With the snow tapering off, I'll grab some food, refill the air pot and I'm outta here!! I found 6" to 8"+ in most lots and drives just south of the river. Not a HUGE blast, but a good way to (hopefully) end the season and my plow career. :salute:

April 15th is still a ways away, will it snow again? Your guess is as good as mine..... Or theirs!! :dizzy:

10. Plow-chic

Plow-chic Junior Member

I'm just north of Stacy. My account is in Hugo. We got a few flakes here, and my truck did not get a workout last night. My beer-drinking arm did though! :drinkup: LwnmwrMan22, thanks for the offer of help if I need it! I'll keep that in mind. I think we'll get at least one more event, but it'll probably miss me again! :sleeping:

11. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I like to plow, but I like working out my beer drinking arm as much or better. So plow-chic you might be the real winner here. Is anyone on this site from the areas that really got blasted? Southern Minnesota? I heard reports of 21 inches in some areas? That almost rivals some of Bostons snowfalls.

12. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

a solid 2-4in. in the western metro. payup

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

A solid 2-4 flakes in Stacy / Wyoming / Forest Lake / North Branch.