1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

>> Weather forecasts, who and why ? <<

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by On a Call, Jan 28, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Okay...I tend to watch the Weather Channel or use NOAA.

So...who do you use and why ?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I use a few different ones just for their maps, radar, nam,, web cams, etc, etc, then make my own prediction.

Ive been out plowing in the AM when the guessers said there wasn't gong to be any snow.
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

X2. I use probably a dozen different resources and make my own call. Accuweather has an open forum with people from all over the country reporting real time conditions in their area. I use that and radar to get a pretty good idea what's coming in the next few hours.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I monitor all of the big ones, WC, Accuweather, WeatherUnderground (sometimes) and of course our local stations but in all honesty Accuweather is about the most accurate most of the time for me. Problem with WC is they only focus on big cities unless there's another right in its path. WC has been to my city 2 or 3 times in the past few years. I don't give it much thought any more though. I'll watch WC for hours but it's mostly background noise, I really start paying attention a day or two before anything might happen. I know there's a few private (you pay for it) weather services out there and it's something we're considering for next year. Our local stations are very vague about our weather, one is better than the other but non the less too vague most of the time to make good decisions. I realize there's only so much you can do but our local stations have dropped the ball on every forecast so far from one extreme to the other. I get more info from local social media anymore lol.
  5. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

We LOVED NOAA... last year...

This year it has been incredibly unreliable. This year we have found local news stations and local websites to be the most accurate.

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Only way to go. Educate yourself and make your own descision based on your needs.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny, NotsoAccuweather is the last one I look at.

Last year was a breeze for everyone: It's going to snow and it's going to be cold. Light days and dark nights.

Anyways, this is my list:

1) The sexiest snowplower on earth.
    2) NWS--at which time I try to figure out why the forecast discussion is totally different than the actual forecast.
    3) I subscribe to a weather service, which has some awesome radar. The gain is not so high so that bird **** doesn't show up as a blizzard. It also gives me the options of changing the reports from reporting stations: Temps, feels like temp, weather conditions, dewpoint, relative humidity, wind speed & direction and I think there are a few more, but those are the ones I use.

So not only can I look at the radar and it is not nearly as bad as NWS, I can look at reporting stations to determine if it is actually snowing, sleeting, raining, freezing rain, showing verga, etc. I can also use the measuring tool to determine approximate arrival time.

There actual forecasting sucks. The radar makes it worth it, although if I can find something comparable that is cheaper, I will switch.

The locals are about the last ones I check, they're all ratings driven.
  8. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I'm in Detroit, I use
    4:NWS radar
    5:Weather underground scientific forcaster disscussion
    6:Express, Express,.........
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

NOAA and WeatherUnderground for map's, radar not only for my area but also the surrounding areas. Webcams on WeatherUnderground are good to check for where the snow actually is. Also looking outside to the N,S,W,E for "real time weather".....