1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather forcasting companies

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Grampa Plow, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hi all,

I have been around for awhile and have never used one but I know that our city street department has a forecasting company that gives them up-to-date minute to minute forecasts. The city street manager says that are usually REALLY accurate. I guess this would help to a certain degree. Does anybody out their use this type of service and what are you paying?

2. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I'm located in central NJ and use service named weather works. It cost 1700 a year, but it is one of the best investments I have made.

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

yup one of the best investments you can make, mine gives me snowfall totals ground temps ( imperitive for salting)... company sends it everyday in an e-mail with the forecast. great if i have to go to court to justifiy my actions.

4. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

$1700 a year...OMG. I thought $49.95 a month was high! You would have to have lots and lots of equipment to be able to justify that much money for forecasting.

5. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

Grampa it is worth every cent. I don't have to worry about getting up in time or missing a surprise night time snow fall. 2 years ago I recived a call from my weather service at 2:00 AM. They told me the forcast changed from a few flurries to 1"-3". Needless to say with out that call I would have gotten up around 5:30AM and would have been caught with my pants down. Because of thier call I was able to moblize crews and have all of our sites serviced in a timely manner.