1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Bug?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I got a pop up today about weatherbug.com and am curious about it. A search turned up references to it, but no descriptions.

To those who use it: Do you find the information you receive to be more accurate than weather.com, and do you subscribe to the commercial service? Will you renew your subscription when it expires?

Thanks!

2. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

weather bug

have been using the bug only a short time, have friends that have been using ti for a while and they think it is more accurate that the weather chanel & a couple of the others. the last three weeks I have found that it has been 90% right for my area.
    don't think any of the guessers are going to be 100%, but thats another story.

it's worth using and compairing it with the others & see how it is for your area

later
    Rick:confused:

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Pelican

I don't think it's any better than any other :confused: As I use Weatherbug.com, Weather.com, Intellicast.com, AccuWeather.com & still think flipping a quarter will give you as good as they do :D If I could only use 1 I would choose Intellicast.com as I can look at more kinds of wind ,temp,rain,snow,ect. maps-radar. :waving:

PS: I don't pay for any of them ;) None of them are worth any money as they are only "weather guessers" IMHO

Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well I use the free weatherbug to moinitor current temps on my home computer and laptop in my truck. I also like when it flashes to let you know of a weather advisory or warning.

The radar pictures are also well detailed. I have found weatherbug to be fairly accurate for shorterm weather. I have no faith in any longterm forecast of more then 48 hours.

5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

CT18fireman

Faith in 48 hrs :eek: I don't have faith in any thing past a 6 hr. forecasts ;) I mean I've went to bed with no chance of snow & awaken to 4" of SNOW :eek:

I have my weather advisory-warning set to "chirp"

:waving:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've used the free Weatherbug for two years. Have it set up on my Tool Bar(?). Flashes with any weather advisory. I've found it to be pretty accurate. I think the main advantage to paying is to get no "popups". They didn't predict any snow for yesterday. I was wondering when it started snowing. But it was a freak 3/4".

I agree most predictions beyond 48 hours are guesses. But they seem to do as well as any other.

7. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I do not know about the rest of the country, but here in Illinois, weather bug gets their reports from the local NOAA weather station. I think it is alot more accurate than Weather Channel, but I like to compare them both.

bug.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I have had the free version now for about 6 months or so, it takes the current info from a high school monitoring station about 2-3 miles away, and I have an airport about 5-6 miles away, so between the two I think the stats it is giving me are fairly accurate. I do however look at TWC as well as a few others if the is an approaching storm and a Winter Event is imminent and make a collective decision based on ALL of the inforamtion.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I guess I should add that I don't rely on Weatherbug entirely, either. I also use NWS and TWC.

10. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I got this link from another thread, seems to be closer than weatherbug.com or weather.com.

In my area weatherbug gets its info from a local tv station.

http://www.weatherbase.com

Rick

11. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I used the free Weatherbug for the past two years or so. I liked it. This year I paid the $20.00 for their premium service. Mostly for historical temp data. I NOAA site for Cleveland stinks (compared to other cities and the availability of info) - even though they use the same information as NOAA, it's easier to use.

I also use Intellicast and AccuWeather. None of them, as stated before, can predict accurately. We all have our stories of no snow predicted and.....

12. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I use free watherbug, NOAA,and TWC.

13. myo

myo Senior Member

I used to have weatherbug on my desktop and then this year I switched and use TWC now. I like the setup of TWC better than weatherbug. What addition stuff do you get when you subscribe to TWC or the weatherbug? Is it worth it?:confused:

14. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I personally don't like it. That's not to say that it isn't as accurate as others or anything, I just think it's one more thing to clutter up my computer. It's kind of like pop-up ads. Just my opinion.

Ryan

15. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member

I use a lot of the internet weather sites, but I use WeatherBug most frequently. I don't count on any of them 100%.

16. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I've had the paid weatherbug for two years now. Its been fairly acurate, I like the radar and I get the temp from an airport 3 miles away and a school 2 miles away. Its only $20.00 so I dont mind. If it was 100.00 I'd say screw it.:drinkup:

17. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I use the following when a storm is predicted to approach; Accuweather.com, Weatherbug, The Weather Channel, and Weather Underground.

When I compare what I see on radar to what conditions are listed for various cities at Weather Underground, it helps to give a better picture of what is actually going on with a given storm.

I find that most of the sites above rely on the same forecast information from the National Weather Service (NWS) with the exception of accuweather.com. Accuweather seems to have the fewest "false forecasts" of storms that never materialize. This is not to say they are anymore accurate, but their long term forecasts tend to undergo more revisions than those that rely on the National Weather Service for forecasting information.

Forecasting weather is anything but foolproof, but making educated guesses is easier when you have more tools at your disposal.

John

18. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I take it TWC is "The Weather Channel"? Can anyone clarify this for me?

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It seems like I was the only one not aware of weather bug. Thanks for all the replies, guys!

You're correct Lawn Lad, TWC is Weather Channel, AKA weather.com

20. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

(TWC) The Weatehr Channel also has a "weatherbug type" desktop product. I downloaded it tonight.... I hope it is a good adition to weatherbug which I allready had.