1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weather bug

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DRP Mowing, Dec 13, 2004.

1. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

Hi all. Does anyone use weather bug? www.weatherbug.com? I heard it might be spyware. it is cool. has upto date weather alerts. and stuff. live cams.

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Yep I use it...

It's pretty accurate most of the time..

Accuweather is pretty good too..

3. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

IMO it is spyware. IMO its very bad. IMO i would rather stick my finger under my plow while someone else lowers it.

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I use it and it's the first thing I check also I like the ALERTS!

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its eat up your system memory its a sloppy program imo i use accu weather i get updates via email

6. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

yes, it has a ton of spyware in it. if you deinstall it you still need to clean up. I highly recommned that you get free apps from download.com

check ad-ware; spybot and spyware doctor

they are all free and work very well.

7. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

dont use it, it jams up your puter

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I love it but my computer is running like crap,slow and what not. Maybe its the weatherbug. I going to unistall it and see if that helps.

Regards Mike

9. Mico landscapin

Mico landscapin Junior Member

weather bug works the best... it does not make my computer run like that.. This is my first time posting but i am on lawnsite all the time.. so dont think i am a newbie :redbounce

10. butters

butters Member

Weather Bug is one of the most instrusive programs you can download. It works and provides you with nice weather information, but it is Spyware and will cause problems with your computer including slowing it down. Get a good spyware detection program like Adaware SE or Spybot Search and Destroy. Make sure you don't go to www.safer-networking.com use the .org. Get rid of this menace at once or suffer privacy issues and overall degraded performance on your computer. I have banned our employees from using this as all it has done is cause grief. Beware!

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using Weather Bug for 3 or 4 years now.

Sure, I get a lot of spyware on my computer, but I can't find where it comes from. If the trade off of up to the minute radar/satelite tracking is a bunch of ad ware/spy ware, then so be it. I like it!

My computer is not affected at all speed wise by the Weather Bug.

12. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

I had weatherbug as did my parents. It was a horrible thing for me and them. So much spyware and when I decided to get rid of it, it would not completely go away. I'm with rclay11541 on this one.... [​IMG]

13. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I just down loaded yahoo search bar with anti spy and pop up blocker, I don't really see a difference, I guess I unfamiliar with that spy stuff what does it do. My computer runs fine. However when I loaded it on my lap top it took a lot of hard drive space, I had to move some programs to my D: drive, then uninstalled it. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

if anyone needs spyware cleaning tools let me know i have good stuff i use better then aol program keep your machine running good

15. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Try FireFox 1.0 instead of IE. It has built in popup blocker that really works and is immune to most IE style spyware attacks too. Also I use Spybot 1.3 and Spyblaster 3.2 on all my machines with good results and have not lost one yet to Spyware.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Plowman
    I have some intrest in that software. Send me a PM.

Thanks Mike

17. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

msn.com offers a free toolbar that has a pop-up blocker. IE is still better than others; just include this toolbar.

18. Tarkus

I have to take exception here as the problem with IE is that it is wide spread and deeply integrated with OS making it a easy target for hackers and SpyWare. Stop using IE and you will see some problems go away.

19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

IE and AOL are what 98% of the population use for internet access.

It's a shame they are sheltered yet venerable, and not enjoying the internet in the best yet safest way.

I've never used AOL or IE and have far fewer problems as other friends/family of whose computers I'm constantly fixing.

20. Tarkus

Not quite so, AOL is losing members daily and has been cutting workforce regularly too. (non of my freinds use it) Also Firesfox had a 6% market penitration about a month ago and is gaining speed. I would put IE overall usage at 85 to 90% tops because there is Netscape and Opera and a few other browsers as well and for the first time in many years MicroSoft has been steadily losing market share of browser usage sloely but steadily. I have been using it for over a year when it was still in beta and it is a great product that redifines browsers as MS has not really changed their browser for nearly 3 years now. .