1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wear your seat belts!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Nov 25, 2005.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take it from a paramedic they can and do save lives and prevent serious injuries!
    You and your passengers even when plowing. The plow can trip at any time and if they or you are not paying attention, BAM a head hits something.
    We are driving the roads in the worst weather. You are a safe driver but IDIOT in the SUV that's running at 50+ MPH in the unplowed lane is not. They hit a deep spot etc and now they are sideways in front of YOU!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i just mentioned this in another thread, last year i hit a crack in the pavement and my plow didn't trip . i was going SLOW ,maybe 5 mph ... i was thrown out of my seat and into the wind shield. hurt like hell !!!:cry:
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I admit that I get lazy or preoccupied and have forgotten in the past and have neglected to wear seatbelts at times. Fortunately, my wife and I recently had a child later in life. (40 +). The child seat gave me a greater appreciation for the risks.

Last winter, out on the abandoned snow covered roads, driving C3500 dually dump, 8.5 plow, doing 30 mph, I was hit head on by Chevy Tahoe. The driver and passengers were 17, drunk and doing over 60 mph. I was wearing a seat belt and received only major bruising, nothing broken. 2 front passengers in the Tahoe wearing belts minor injuries.

The rear middle passenger was not wearing a belt, made it through the windshield, died upon impact. While the driver of the Tahoe was wrong, I am grateful that I was not injured. However, I have seen him 2x at a local Wawa, he is very apologetic and well aware that he has to live the rest of his life with what happened.

The belt saved me and it will save you too. Wear it all the time.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Not just in snow season, wear them all the time.

They saved my and my family's azzes back in 1986, in my dad's 1 year old Buick Park Avenue. We were vacationing in Florida (march break), and I was 9. We were travelling thru a city called Ocala... quite honestly it was a slum type of area... but we were on a fairly major highway. It did, however, have side street access.

So we were tooling along at 65mph when this guy (still remember his name--Lamar Palmer) I guess figured he could make it across. He barely got his mid 70's Pontiac Catalina across the first lane, let alone the second. We T-boned him at nearly a full 65mph as we couldn't see him coming due to a truck beside us that suddenly laid on the brakes.

The Park Avenue was folded up to the windshield and slammed off onto the sidewalk on the right. Lamar, realizing he had no insurance, did a power donut trying to escape (with a flat RF tire) and lost control--hitting us a second time in my door (left rear). The only thing that stopped him from getting away was that he bottomed the car out on the center median and couldn't move any further.

The police told us when the arrived that the four of us should have been dead from the initial hit, let alone the second. They told my parents when they pulled up that they were bringing out the blankets to cover the bodies and were amazed to see the four of us standing there on the sidewalk, completely surrounded by the people from the slum. The car was utterly destroyed (though a lot of credit goes to the GM engineers--the passenger compartment was almost entirely intact--I recall the armrest hitting me in the knee from the second hit before deflecting back into position).

The seatbelts kept us in place. We all got away with seatbelt bruises with the exception of my mom who got her head slammed into the door on the second impact and broke a few teeth. We were lucky.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

No doubt wear them all the time!
    There is no excuse not to!
    I have pulled people out of incredible crashes that have survived to walk out of the hospital. Another +,your held in place in a crash and can still have some control over the vehicle instead of being thrown around the cabin.
  6. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

I am here today only because on July 20, 2003 I wore my seat belt. :nod:

I was always the type to just jump in and drive, after paying my 5th seat belt ticket I placed a big sign on my dash that said buckle up and save some money, (I had become immune to the whole light and chime thing) well my seatbelt definately saved way more than that.
  7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

hey, where did that accident happen?...i'm from West Chester and think I remember hearing about that.
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i was also saved by my seatbelt. I was doing 60 on a small coutry road when a meth head crossed the center line. We hit head on, breaking my left femur (sp). but i lived.
    another thing to check out is your insurance. if you arnt wearing your belt there is a change they wont cover your injuries. food for thought. my accident was covered, but just the ambulance ride alone was over 1500.00.