1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wear/maintenance questions on 10LD sectional

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by C.Csnowdivision, Jan 16, 2011.

1. C.Csnowdivision

C.Csnowdivision Junior Member
    from wyoming

We have researched the Arctic Sectional plows for a couple years and finally implemented one in the fleet this year. We must say we love it so far. I do have a couple questions though. We are running a 10'LD on a Case 580SM with a bucket mount set up precisely in accordance with Arctic's diagram. We have about 90-100 hours of plowing time on it. When setting the plow down, we self level the bucket and start lowering. We bleed the hydraulics untill the front touches and then wath the rear of the shoes. When the rear touches we watch the bucket untill you can see just a little slop in it while lowering which puts the slip hitch right about in the middle. The rear portions of the shoes are very thin now. How many hours should we be getting on these shoes on average? Can you change the shoes from right to left, which would place the front to rear to wear them evenly? Will the bolts line up if you swap sides turning them like that? Also, Arctic really advertises the ability to clean like no other plow. This plow does an awesome job if the snow is not packed, in fact I'm convinced nothing can beat it. However, Arctic also says it scrapes hardpack like no other. I don't know if we are running it wrong or what, but while running it as described above, it does not hardly scrape at all. It rides on top of hard pack. How is is supposed to scrape anything hard when it is not a down pressure operated system? Any advise Arctic or anyone else can provide would be great. We are looking at adding at least a couple more next year but we want to get all the "bugs" worked out this season. Thank you.
    Jay

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Jay,

I've got a HD 14' bucket model and a LD 8' SS model.... I've got about the same hours as you for my 14 but my shoes look like new....hardly any wear.....Now that said I've noticed a big difference between plowing with the bucket mount and the skid mount...The bucket mount is much harder to tell if you truely have the slip hitch in the correct position...with the skid mount or direct attach it is MUCH easier to tell...........

The only "maint" thing I've been told is too keep a tarp over the pushers (or store them inside) to keep the UV rays off the rubber block.... I also FF mine but thats just me.......

In terms of scraping hardpack, it does this quit effectively.... the kicker is you have to get an edge on the pack for the pusher to do this.... once you have a edge the stuff just rolls up.... its great.... now I havn't always been able to get an edge on pack and it wll ride up if you can't get an edge but most of the time I'll find one somewhere and once you start its very easy to scrape it up......

HIH

3. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Yeah CC sounds like the back bottom of your bucket is putting too much down pressure on ends of bucket mounts.. Try keeping your front cutting edge just a bit lower than the back(hardley noticable) and make sure she is running in the center with lots of play.

4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

One common problem could be the operator, you cannot run Arctics like a normal pusher. One good rule of thumb is lower the pusher on the pavement(Don't run the loader in float mode) until the slip hitch is all the way down, Then slightly raise the bucket allowing the slip hitch to move up with the bucket, You never want to apply down pressure to the pusher, let the weight of the box do the scraping, It should be able to move within the slip hitch. Having the bucket all the way down and pushing against the bottom of the slip hitch will cause the shoes to wear faster. If anyone needs a copy of the owners manual, Let me know, I can email them right over

Collin