1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wear and tear

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by OhioPlower, Oct 16, 2005.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a 04 GMC 2500HD regular cab duramax and I am thinking about putting a blizzard 810 on it. I heard a blizzard 810 will wear down parts on my front end quicker than a straight blade due to the additional weight of a blizzard, Is this true? would timbrens help front end parts last longer? would cranking the torsion bars up 5 turns wear down front end parts quicker? Thanks

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, Blizzards do weigh a little more and put more stress on your front end then say an 8' straight blade would but the important thing is to figure out how much is too much. Generally, you should experience no adverse effects if you stay within your front axle rating. Some people will tell you not to put a blizzard on a chevy with a heavy duramax but I have seen crew cabs carry them well when set up right nevermind a regular cab.

Turning up the torsion bars should not wear front end parts quicker, at least not that I have ever heard of. Timbrens will help keep the truck level under the added load but wont minimize the effect the plow has on your front end parts.

The best advice I can give you is to check out your axle ratings and see if you can fit in 950-1000 pounds in. If you find that it can handle the weight and you happen to want a blizzard 810 then you can figure out how you need to set up the truck to best carry the plow.

3. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

I have a F-250 I put in a leveling kit in and it raise my front end up 3". So when the 810 is put on it goes back to stock height. I believe the web site ishttp://www.truxxx.com. My truck with just stock hurt my front end. I hope this helps.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If you crank up the torsion bars too high then yes you will wear out front end componets quicker. I had this happen on my '99 2500. I was breaking sway bar bushings/bolts. Shock and shock bushings wore out very quick. Pitman arm and idler arm needed to be replaced at 60,000 miles.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

just use your headmake sure you keep the same ride height dont crank 'em to the max like dlcs must have and also if the shocks were bottoming out the ride must of been horrible,

and as far as the duramax being heavy ITS ALUMINUM i have one and the cummins (2002) puts more weight on the front axle, i don't think there will be a fear in the world with a 810 i think it weighs like 1200-1400 lb?

check out TIM WALLACE SNOW PLOW SUPPLY i just give 5400 for a 8611 complete with mount and control, DELIVERED

just my $.02

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the only thing on a duramax that is aluminum is the heads. the block is still steel.

7. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

is that for your 05 truck??????? they only have add a leaf packs and 05 f250's have a coil suspension...its also only lisited from 99-2004 f250 -do they have a kit that they arent listing???????

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Listen, my .02 cents worth says putting a plow on any truck will wear out the entire truck faster, I read everything from transmissions to rear ends to 4x4 systems, plows are tough on trucks period, I don't care what mfg it is.

You should plan on replacing something at least once a year if your doing any decent amount of commercial plowing, I do one or two residentials and plowing them, my truck would last alot longer vs doing the commercials.

Only thing to do is the preventive maintanance on the stuff you can, some you can't and it will wear out sooner vs. not having plow, just be prepaired.

I keep a few buck every year set aside for the big costly break downs, like trans, 4x4 stuff. :nod:

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

with out adoubt the 810 will were your truck out faster a straight blade 700lbs. a blizzard 810 1200lbs. thats a lot plus you will be pushing motre snowq with the larger blade. i put one of these on my 04hd and the plow does work good but i can tell a big differince between it and my 8' pro plow i mean huge. it really depends how bad you need to carry snow for a long distance. i do apartments and there is never anywhere to put snow that is why i got the 810. if i was not doing apartments i would go with a straight or v blade my next truck hopefully will be next year will have a western v blade i will still use my blizzard and it does work good but i don't think it is worth the wear andtear to get another one. i would put a resonable guess that my tranny will last 50,000 i hope it dies by 60,000 thats when the warranty runs out i am sure the front axle will also be rebuilt by then. i would say if you want one get one but make sure that this will be a work truck not your show off truck it will take abuse.

10. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

the 810 weight is 950 not 1200lb.

11. Kason & Riley

I have 2005 F-250 with 2005 leveling kit. They told me they have not updated the website. It helps alot.

12. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

does it go under the coil spring and how much$$$$

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I just checked my book, it shows 950lbs not including the undercarriage. I doubt the underarriage is another 250, but either way it is a lot of weight. On the other hand, we are talking about HD trucks here, not Toyotas. Why are we buying HD trucks if they are not up to the task? Why would Blizzard build plows marketed toward pickups, if an HD pickup couldnt carry it? Manufacturers put whatever number they feel like on the GVWR tag, that means little. GM generally labels their stuff on the low side. Ford raised their payload capacity number to 5900lbs just to get ahead of the market. Didnt change anything but the number, and I for one wouldnt put 5900 lbs in the back of any pickup. I've seen f350s squat hard with only 700 lbs in the bed. A stock HD will carry a Blizzard, cranking the torsion bars a little will help. You can also replace the torsion bar keys and even the torsion bars if you want some more beef to the front end, but always get the frontend aligned after. I don't believe you can use Timbrens on a torsion bar frontend, can you? A guy I know had to use them on the front of his f350 just to carry an 8' Diamond.

14. Kason & Riley

It goes on top of the spring,raised the front 2 3/4 inches to get it level. It cost me $450 worked great!

15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I porbably asked this on another thread but can you take a few pictures and e-mail to me at fbishop@wideopenwest.com as I am very interested in this kit. Is the ride truely the same or a little rougher ?? I am curious as to what is invloved with the installation as well, the pictures will help me with what I am expecting to get into

thanks again karon/riley for the helpful info !!

16. Kason & Riley

I will take a some pictures, and the ride is the same as stock. I had the guys that put the plow on install the kit and it was $450 installed. I will post the pictures soon.

Thanks
    Steve