1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wear and tear on the blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Mar 20, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I think I must have tripped the springs on 7.5' myers blade several thousand times last weekend... I was slamming it repeatedly into frozen big piles... CRAZY... I was really surprised that the truck made it with no break downs and that the springs and pump didn't have a problem in 28+ hours of non stop hard action. I think I will replace all the springs after thae thumping they took. Also towards the end there, the blade would make a loud metalic squeek when the springs tripped. Probably should replace the pins and look for signs of wear at the pivot points. the blade is only 4 or 5 years old and sees maybe 4-6 plowings a year, mostly really light....

Any suggestions?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

squeeky plow

you might get away with greasing or oiling the blade pivot pins.lift it off the ground take the trip spring off and oil or grease if there is a fitting and work it up and down. check the condition of the blade stops.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd just give it a good squirt of panther piss. No sense in replacing springs....they are kinda like a cutting edge....don't replace them til they are fuc&in broke!!

4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Now that's what I'm talkin about. Drive it like you stole it.:yow!:
    Seriously I don't beat on stuff by I don't baby it either.

5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I sprang my springs so hard, the springs slammed into the blade and, on one side, punched a piece of steel out of the middle of my blade. This happened last season. Of course, this was an older blade. Needless to say, the blade is now shot.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If your Premierhomes you probably want a new blade from a dealer because that one had to work.

Seriously though, springs on a Meyer do stretch and are pretty easy and cheap to replace. Often the pivot pins seize up a bit, but if it was pivoting then they were working.

I am actually going to add a spring to the one Meyer we have as it trips to easy even with new springs. I am looking for an old conventional Fisher to adapt but no luck so far.