1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weapons & Plowing??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bwamx, Jan 12, 2003.

?

Do You Carry a Weapon?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2003.
  1. No

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Gun

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Tools, ie: Flashlight, Breaker Bar

38 vote(s)
    46.3%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwamx

bwamx Member

Well in the last Week 1-5-03 to 1-8-03 we had 2 plowing related
    shootings! One from a plower to a motorist and the other from a
    motorist to the plower.:eek:

1st incident Homeowner vs passing car .
    Man chased down and shot in arm. link:
    http://www.record-journal.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2003/January/06-2410-01Local.txt

2nd One Not listed on line but, Plower asks a person to move
    car so he can plow a private lot better, motorist pulls gun , shoots
    his own window and plow truck. No one hurt, Subject flees the area.

Plower leaves truck, comes back a little later , motorist had returned and smashed all glass and lights on the truck.

Police later arrested the shooter in a local bar.

This is not normal for our town!!!
    I feel people are getting fed up with the snow already, and its
    only Jan 12th!

Some People will not give you a inch when plowing, others will.
    Be carefull !:realmad:

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Since im not old enough to carry a concealed weapon, nor would i think i want to, at least not around here, so far seems safe... But i usually always have my big maglight or my spreader board (used if mat'/ starts to clump or what-have-you) but ive never run into a problem, but this makes me a little worried, so ill be prepared to 'shed a little light on the problem' with my flashlight, lol:D

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Glock on board

always

4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i plow the projects in new haven CT across from the train station.i have my gun with me at all times plus if i go there late at night i have the new haven police stay with me while im plowing out these lots.i've been cornered a few times ''Blocked In" by some people messing around.i was also almost plow truck jacked by 5 black men in there 20s.the police were not with me and i saw as they were coming up to the truck that 2 of the men had guns in there coat pockets.i pulled my gun out just in time and told them straight out."I'm at least going to get one round out and its going to hit one of you guys in the head."glad i had my cell phone on speed dial to the new haven police cause they where there within seconds.now the company i sub for the owner was jumped and they stole his truck,but the police had it back within an hour.they also smashed his head with his shovel.but its worth the money i guess.god knowswhen its your time so im ready to meet my maker.

5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I would NEVER even think about carrying any kind of weapon while I was plowing! I am absolutly dumb founded that this happened. Unfortunetly I think that plowers in your neck of the woods area all too common and people don't give a damn about u or your life. Around here someone with a plow is almost a god and is respected. Then again we don't get as much snow as u guys. Sorry to here.:eek:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No wonder you guys get more for plowing than I do. Between the insurance costs, getting shot, chased and truck jacked, it's a wonder you plow at all.

You can have it, I'll take my moose-dodging any day. (So far, it's just been enjoy watching them, no collisions.)

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

mick

can i come up there? i would rather do some moose watching than sit here and get shot at......lol lol

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 3/4" x 36" steel rod that is used for torquing down semi tie downs with me most of the time to bang on the spreader with when it jams or to use as a whoopass stick, within the next year I plan on getting a nice .410 shotgun for in the bronco, we have had a few people come up to the truck and start something. one guy managed to open the passenger door on Jeremy before he could get it locked, we managed to drive off quick enough on that one.:eek: .

~Nate~

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I feel sorry for you guys!!!

Five of the last six years Amherst, NY has been designated as the safest city in America. 1997, 1998, 2000 2001 and 2002.
    Only reason we didnt get it in '99 was becasue of James Kopp killing DR. Spepian the abortion DR. Wich I'm sure you all heard about.

No need to carry anything arround here.

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I'll bet the "Snow GodFather" doesn't have that problem:D ,they would wake up in bed with a horse head!

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

it seems folks here in Meriden are "GUN HAPPY" lately. After we get two plow related shootings last week this week we get a sunday wake up call. A man and a manager at the local cinemas had somewhat of a shootout.

Jay

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

Big Nate's

well i can't run they block off the only way in and out in these lots.
    just gotta take care of myself.most of these people are young black kids age 19 to 25.did you see the movie "TRAINING DAY"
    if so remember the part at the end when hes walking in the projects down the center of the street? well the place i plow is just like those.only its real life and not a movie.....lol lol

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Glock 40 here...

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Block the entrance? Just slam the gas, bend down & ram the bastards with the plow. It makes great armor, well mabey not the polly plows & a V will leave a big ass dent.

I always joke with people about raming them with the plow or putting it in the scoop position & blocking them in against a wall untill the cops get there. Or just burry them in a snow pile never to be found agian.
    :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  15. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I carry a collapsable batton. Never had to use it but I've pulled it out a few times.

16. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Got grass>I already did that before.:)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  17. bwamx

bwamx Member

snoplowjay , I was at the newly opened cinema last night , and
    got out of there around 9:30 .
    What is going on?:(

mike9497
    One of my buddys is a NewHaven Fire Fighter / Landscaper/ Plower and he has passed on few stories about the projects
    down there.:eek:

I personally don't have a weapon just a big Mag light for
    use as a flash light.
    Bob

18. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

GOT GRASS?

you wanna buy me a new plow and truck after i ram them lol.
    if i was using my LA 8000 i would ram them no problem

bwamx

whos your friend? i know someone that works there also.

19. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I second this ... !!!
    Why would you ever feel that being blocked in was a problem ???
    If you plow ...
    1) ... you have a battering ram attached to the front of your truck ... even a poly plow has a steel support structure, so if it is a choice of damage the plow vs. getting shot ... I will buy another plow thank you!
    2) ... seeing as you have a vehicle that has enough traction, and in most cases is a 4x4, to plow snow ... then what would prevent you from just riding up over the curb, grass, whatever ... to gain an escape route?
    3) ... even if you didn't have a plow, or a 4x4, if you have a truck and someone is blocking you in, RAM them ... they won't expect that and you might damage your vehicle, but you WILL damage theirs ... possibly to the point that they will not be able to drive it.

Unless you are trapped in an alley, which if this is the case - see #2 & #3, you shouldn't have any worries.

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Nate,

In NY (and I think it may be a Federal law) you can not have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle, you may want to check on it before you stow that 410.

As for me, I'll just say I'm very capable of taking care of myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.