1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weak start 89 f 350 with 460

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cclandscape 28, Oct 7, 2009.

1. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

I have an 1989 ford f350 - with a 460 gas motor .the truck has a very weak start and when the truck warms up and you go to turn it back on it doesnt want to start? The timing has been checked and is pefect the tune up has been done and a new starter The battery seems to be fine. Any ideas would be great.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I take it the starter winds fine it just will not start?
    Try checking the fuel pressure. Got duel tanks? I chased a defective tank switcher for a year ! Still has a distributor with the ignition module attached to it? Might think about changing to a heavy duty one or just changing it in general and see if that does the trick. Hook a timing light up the the coil wire and see if you are getting any fire to the distributor.
  3. fzzy

fzzy Junior Member

If you have a new starter and it turns over hard after it is warmed up I would say that the heat shield is missing around the starter I just went through this with mine changed the starter and forgot the heat shield starter gets hot and swells creating it to turn over hard just a thought
  4. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey thanks guys for the input. Come to find out the starter i got was actually bad. Put a new one on there and she starts and runs like a dream. Thanks for the help guys